IGNORED

Comparable Body sheet metal

xxjoeyxxeb

If you're looking for comparable, you would need to get the same or similar vintage sheet metal. I would say +1 or -1 year model Datsun from the Z you have. BUT, what are you doing? If it's only bondo, hammer and dolly, or paint, anything should work for practice. However, if it's cutting, welding, etc, then I would go for same vintage. For me, it doesn't really matter, but if you don't have too much experience, things can awry very quickly when working with thin, rusty sheetmetal.

I would use what you have to get started. Get use to the feel of stitch or skip welding on these panels. Some of the problems you will have is burn through and warp age. It is hard to keep at a pace that lets the metal cool enough before you go on. All of this takes practice. The other part of welding on these cars is the different panels and sub structures are different gauges.

I took an old front fender and cut it into pieces and welded them back together. I used a crimped seam. Where one panel lays on top of the other. It is a lot easier to weld and hold in place while you weld it. Here are a couple of pictures showing my quarter panel repair panel screwed into place before I welded it on to the car.

The first picture shows that the cut line and the panel line are five eighths of an inch different. That is where the crimp goes.

The second one shows the patch panel screwed in place. Took a couple of hours to get this right.

Third one shows it welded in place before I ground the welds smooth. Another time you must be patient is while you are grinding these smooth. Do your self a favor and go to welding supply store and get "easy grind wire" it is a softer wire that makes this whole process much, much easier.

post-1188-14150798358058_thumb.jpg

post-1188-14150798358346_thumb.jpg

post-1188-1415079835855_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

I won't be doing much welding (knock on wood). So far I only know of the rocker panels needing to be either replaced or patched, which I will probly take to a shop since I dont have a welder, unless they have a rediculous asking price, then I might change that situation. I have a couple of dents I need to tap out, and going to shave the rear bumper, and the chrome side strip, and the side markers maybe. The rear bumper, I might use the method of this 2 part epoxy someone here used thats supposed to be strong like a weld. Still contemplating on what to do though.