IGNORED

240Z exhaust systems - what's best?

vtdds71

My 72 240Z needs a new exhaust system, including a replacement for its old Hooker header, and I am very confused as to what is best. My car is in stock condition, and will remain so for the time being. I would like decent quality, trouble-free installation, a deeper "sporty" tone (not a raspy "ricer" noise), and performance at least on a par with the original stock system. Forum threads have run the gamut. Choices mentioned include: (1) various MSA setups, (2) Monza/Pacesetter, (3) local muffler shop "custom" do-it-yourself. I have heard of no other options.

MSA systems concern me because the pipe diameter is much larger than stock (2.5"), and some say this reduces back-pressure too much for a stock application. There is also no resonator installed "mid-stream", so extra booming noises have been reported. Finally, many have complained about difficulty of installation of the MSA pipes. MSA admits problems in the past, but they say they are better now. An "armor-coated" 3-into-2 header I received from MSA looked pretty, but has a definite warp in the mounting flange from one end to the other. MSA says "don't worry, it will flatten out when you torque down the nuts!". Is this true?

The Monza/Pacesetter products have been largely criticized in the forums I've read. I guess they tend to rust out pretty quickly. But, do they fit well? How do they sound? Are they of similar quality to the MSA systems? Their pipes are smaller diameter, and may be a better match for my car. Comments? Also, the headers seem to be unavailable right now, but are supposed to go back into limited production in 3-4 weeks. For what it is worth, they are "made in the U.S.A.".

I have to replace the header, no matter what. The Hooker is pretty rusty, and I really don't want to bolt the old original header on the car since it has been off for over 30 years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. D. Nelson

There are hundreds of posts on this subject. Everyone has their own opinion. On a stock setup you're well off locating a stock manifold and installing 2 1/4" exhaust out to the back. Some use a resonator and turbo muffler. Others use a single straight-through muffler (Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.). With a cheap turbo muffler you can swap it out easily if you don't like the sound. You'll spend less money this way. A header won't provide much for you with a bone stock engine except for the coolness look. Do some more searching or look through recent posts. You'll find loads of info.

I pretty much agree with the above, with only one reservation. The stock manifold is a good option for a stock engine - IF you already have a good one. But the early manifolds by now are often junk. I know, because I was looking for one and gave up. The ones I found were either rusted badly (with broken and missing studs) or warped, or both. A header isn't the perfect solution, as they do often have fitment issues, they aren't as durable as stock, and they won't give you much benefit on a stock motor. But it may be a better solution than a messed up manifold.

No, the warping I'm talking about is not on the mounting surface, it's the whole thing. The manifold ends bow downwards, eventually bending or breaking the exhaust studs on the far ends of the head. I heard of this a while back, and started checking them as I found them. All the early 240Z manifolds I looked at were bowed in this manner to some degree. The 280ZX manifold now on my L28 has done this also.

Ahhh...that kind of warp. I remember helping a friend with his 83 ZX. We'd taken the ex manifold off to replace the rear stud that had broken and when we went to put the manifold back on, we realized it had warped downward as you have described.

He needed the car for work the next day, so we just enlarged the stud hole with a drill bit so it could be put back on. Not the best solution, but it worked that day. We later replaced the manifold with one that wasn't warped.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the original stock header that was removed by the first (and only other) owner back when the car was relatively new. It didn't look too great at first, but maybe with some refinishing, it could be used. With this header I assume a stock size or about 2.25" system would be a better idea than the larger MSA pipes? What's the deal with these aftermarket headers anyway? If they fit poorly, aren't made a well as OEM, and don't improve performance, what's the point? I can't see where appearance is much of an issue, as they are pretty well buried below the carbs and intake manifold as is.

If you want to go with a header then I would use the Nissan Comp header with the 1 5/8 primaries. It is a 6-1-2 then you can leave it as the 2.5 or have the muffler shop step it down to the 2.25 size. With a stock motor it will not really give much in the way of gains but it will not hurt either and they sound better than the stock manifold IMO. You can get them from www.rebelloracing.com or Courtesy Nissan. They cost around the same as the MSA headers with the coating. If you do ever modify the head for better flow then you will already have a good exaust system.

• 5 months later...

I hate to dig up an old thread but I need to replace the rusted header on my '71 240Z as well. I have asked several knowledgable Z people and I have been given several opinions.

1) Price no object Stahl header (Pretty much universally the best but it is $775 plus ceramic coating)

2) 1 5/8" Nissan Motorsport header either chromed or unplated (ceramic coating extra) The opinions vary on whether the chrome will last or rust. I am leaning towards getting an unplated one and ceramic coating it.

3) MSA ceramic coated header (I have one of their coated headers + their aluminized exhaust system on my '78. Fitment was an issue and the drone a problem. Sal says they have improved their header design and are working on the drone.)

I'd like opinions of those who are using the different brands. Especially anyone using the Nissan Motorsport header chrome or coated. Thanks!