Flasher Relay - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Flasher Relay

Featured Replies

I got a flasher relay from another car, but the ratings and part number on mine and the one I got are different. Is there any harm in using it or not? My flashers blink once every minute, or not at all..

A heavy duty flasher will cycle slower and the light duty will be much faster. Much depends on the load on the circuit. I doubt that the heavy duty one will harm anything but once a min is not much of a turn signal.

You might have pulled the Hazard Relay as opposed to the Flasher Relay. They're both Flasher Relays but the Hazard one is a heavier gauge in order to run all 4 corners at the same time. Typically this one is marked as Heavy Duty and if memory serves are predominantly Amber in color. Whereas the Silver can is for the regular Turn Signals. (This may not hold true for all flashers, just a curious observance of mine.)

Location is also an indicator. The Hazard Flasher on the early Z's is on the passenger kick panel, whereas the Turn Signal Flasher is by the Steering Column area.

While I haven't done it nor experimented with it, since the Flasher Relay relies on the current it carries to determine it's flash rate, I would think that the Hazard in the Turn Signal spot would flash very slowly. Whereas a Turn Signal in the Hazard position would flash very fast. Again, this is untried and untested, so someone else may have a better explanation.

E

  • Author

When I took mine off, both relays were down there, and the book showe dthe one on the right to be flasher. I will check again. Thanks

mine are stacked on each other I think, at least there are two pieces for the flashing unit

I had slow signals or no signals

it was NOT the flasher

it was burned out bulbs. ALL, yes ALL the bulbs must be A OK for the flashing system to work correctly according to my experience on my 72

your milage may vary

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Two pieces? I've seen it where there's an additional NOISE maker attached to the base of the flasher, but never where the flasher as a whole was comprised of two pieces.

The location of the individual flashers varied by model year. Where mine (71) are as I described above, I've seen both on the passenger kick panel, or one on each kick panel.

Usually, with the loss of one bulb filament, there will be more current through the circuit and therefore a FASTER flash rate rather than slower. At least that's been my experience, but it is interesting to note that your system flashed slower with burned out bulbs.

E

  • Author

I used the new one and it works. Wish everything else was that easy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.