IGNORED

fiberglass fenders install ??

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

Trying to see if I want to get some fiberglass fenders for the front of the Z. I know that if you put ZG flares on, you have to cut the fender, then reweld it. What happens if you take off the metal fender, and bolt in a fiberglass fender? Would that weaken the car, or is there some other thing to install that I'm missing?

The cutting and welding happens on the rear fenders, the fronts do not have to be welded. If you do not weld the inner fender back to the outer (on the rear) then the structure is weekened considerably, the fronts do not have an inner fender like the rear.

Ok, so with the zg flares, the inner fender has to be rewelded to the outer in the rear.... but not the front?

And to Kiwi's comment, I think the V8, and many other change will change the value of the car, but I'm not looking at the resale... so thanks

The rear fenderwell is a big part of the structure that supports the strut towers. If you cut the rear fenderwells then you need to weld them back for support. No point in putting on flares unless you're going to cut the fenderwells IMHO. The point of the flare is to put a wider tire on. If you hang the flare on the back and don't cut the fenders, then you either cut up your wide tires on the fender lips, or you end up with a car that looks like it needs more tire in the back. In the front the structure is the upper and lower frame rails, and the fender is hung onto that structure just to cover the wheels. The front fender is not structural, so you can trim it without any structural consequence.

I know what you guys mean about structural support,ive been in crashwork for nearly 20yrs...Even thought im putting the ZG flares on my Z,i just couldnt attack it with a cutting wheel to do it.Just my opinion thats all,good on those that do it,just not my cuppa.

I see your point on the resale,but i still wouldnt do it,again jmo.

On the value of Zeds over here,take a look sometime on www.trademe.co.nz and tell me a 240z is cheap!!

One on there for $14000

Even the 260z goes for around 6G,dont know how much you guys have to play with in the way of money,but in my books,that aint cheap.

Hell,ive even seen ZX's sell for close to 9g......we dont use salt on our roads over here so most times they are pretty cheese free,for the most part.

Even my gs31,being a jap import,its got no chassis rust or rail rust,just cosmetic stuff,caused by nissans liberal:sick: use of paint,LOL