IGNORED

240K Hardtop on eBay Australia

Alfadog

Hi!

I thought you might be interested...! The only problem with this one is that it's still in parts. Not sure how much work is needed to make it a "car" again! But yup, I'll have a look for you and anyone else here. will send him a message now.

This is the one I looked at last year (clicky). Funny how a year ago he'd owned it for 4 years, now he's had it for 8. also, it was almost matt black when I saw it, so maybe he's polished it or re-sprayed it.

In general, it looked pretty straight, but needed a lot of work to get it going. the guy didn't strike me as knowing anything about 240K's, so just beware of what he tells you.

Still, considering the price of these things today, and the fact you're getting quite a few spares, it sounds like a pretty decent buy.

I hate it when people in Australia list stuff for sale in US dollars.

Its a cheap trick to make you think $1000 au dollars, but by the time you convert it to AU dollars its substantially more.

Wonder what the reserve is. I remember seeing that car on carsales or carpoint, cant remember what the price was though.

Looks ok, but new paint can hide a lot of rust problems.

Actually I went to look at the car this afternoon. It was raining unfortunately, which can hide things, but the car overall looks pretty solid! I'll list the things that striked me-

- The front half (doors, fenders and bonnet) have been resprayed in gloss black. This was done by their painter friend so the job is pretty good without any runs I saw but it has a few foreign particles - little lumps - on it.

- The paint on the rear half is OK, but not great.

- RUST: There is some rust starting to form I think on the rear C pillar just above the rear window. Very minor but who knows what's beneath it. Battery tray is CLEAN.

- Car is verry straight - front left fender is a bit off (fixable I'm sure), left door doesn't close properly (panels were taken off when painting and they say it just needs to be adjusted again). Bonnet is a bit off too but overall, very straight.

- I wondered what that thing on the rear under the bumper was - it's a metal/fibreglass piece of "bodywork"! Kinda like an anti-spoiler, it's seriously weird!

- In the boot the wheel well has surface rust. I looked under, and it seems that the wheel well may have been welded on from a donor car?? I'll check it with mine. There is some decently bad rust in the rear right wheel well (common) and left has been repaired with new metal. Both doglegs look like they have been repaired in the past at some stage...

- There are heaps of spare parts. Bumpers, service manuals, glass etc.

- There is no brake master cylinder fitted. Need to get one for it.

- The car has been sitting for a fairly long time on and off... but apparently drove last week when it had some work done on it. The car wouldn't start. A click, but no more. Don't know how much work would be needed to make it run under its own power...

- Interior is very good, all original except fluffy dash. The console is butchered but it comes with a spare. Door cards are OK, the right one is a bit poor though - it has a speaker hole and is without the metal bit on the bottom.

- Glass all seems pretty good - new windshield.

- All stainless steel trim is there apparently, but not fitted. From the few bits I saw it looked to be in pretty good nick.

- The spare car they had was a GT (now deceased, RIP) so they have a few of the GT badges, GT manifold etc. If that's of any consequence.

- Driver seatbelt is broken.

Overall, the car body is not perfect, but it is in great condition compared to a lot of others. There is some rust that will need to be taken care of, but not much at all. I'd paint the bits that haven't been painted yet - do this at the same time as getting the rust fixed and it should be good. Unfortunately, the car needs a fair bit of work getting it RUNNING. They seemed like good honest people and the car doesn't need much, but as they say - buyer beware. As I could not hear it going who knows... They say they are going to get it fixed over the weekend to make sure its running. Additionally to this, the car looks like it will need a fair bit of work getting it all back together. Seals, stainless steel bits, panel adjustment, exhaust, brake master cyl, locks ... As is stated in the ad it's a project car - not a complete, running car.