IGNORED

Series 1 fuse box and defroster switch wiring

er34gtt2000jp

I am having a heck of a time getting my fuse box and center dash wiring sorted, does anyone have a photo of where the Series 1 fuse box wiring harness is routed, and also where the defroster switch plugs into on the harness.

My car is a 3 of 70 production.

Thanks,

Eric

The wires route up the right side of the console. Just forward of the end of the console you will see two spade connectors one is a blue wire with a fuse holder in it the blue wire connects there. There should also be a red wire with the other spade connector right there as well. They are in two different wire bundles so, don't let that throw you. They will be really close to the cloth cover that wraps around the wire harness in the passenger side under the dash.

Hope that helps would take a picture but the dash is laying on a bench right now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The problem I have is some wack job replaced the dash and the harnesses are not in their original locations, and nothing is hooked up.

I have the blue wire with he fuse holder but it has a bullet connector on it and my defroster switch has spade connectors.

I am going to go back out tonight an fiddle with it some more.

Any photos of original series one center dash wiring would be great. also the location of the cloth cover and what is under it would be GREAT! as I do not have the cover.

Thanks again.

Eric

...snip...

Any photos of original series one center dash wiring would be great. also the location of the cloth cover and what is under it would be GREAT! as I do not have the cover.

Thanks again.

Eric

You mean, like this cover?

attachment.php?attachmentid=13249&stc=1&d=1153365722

attachment.php?attachmentid=13250&stc=1&d=1153365722

And, as far as the fuse box goes, does the Gen I style have the short pigtail, or the long one? I can't remember off hand.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13251&stc=1&d=1153366677

Sorry for the poor quality.

post-6791-14150797902808_thumb.jpg

post-6791-14150797903092_thumb.jpg

post-6791-14150797903285_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics,

My car has the long pig tail fuse box, but the dash was replaced with a later one and the person that did it did not route the harness correctly. I finally got it back together but it is not right. Wires just kinda stuffed behind heater panel for now.

I was able to drive the car for the first time tonight, what a blast! :D It still has a lot of bugs to sort out though. Amp meter runs about +30 amps all the time for some reason. Could be the battery is a little low as it has been sitting for over a year. I am planning to put a new dash in it and will re-do the wiring then along with a new fuse box I think.

I still could not figure out where the darn rear defroster plugged into. The blue wire with the fuse holder ended up being the blower power source. I do have a red/blue stripe wire with a spade connector and a solid red wire with a spade connector but they both are +12 volts hot.

At least it is summer time, I don't have to drive the car every day. Good thing too because the heater is stuck on full hot!!! :eek: Gotta fix that before I try to drive it any distance.

post-8081-14150797903541_thumb.jpg

Did the first generation Z have a rear window defroster? I don't think so, right? If not, it is "aftermarket". So fix a long wire to the defroster's rear cable end, put a bulp and a small batterie from a torch at the other end of that wire at +.Now fix a second wire to the - of that little battery and touch the different free cables that come from the rear. May be - if "aftermarket" - the cable is not in the harness. When the bulp lights than you've found the defroster's cable ( hopefully not the - one). Look out where the rear defroster has it's ground (-). Put a fuse in between the + cable and connect that to the switch, than go directly from the switch to the car's battery and leave the main fuse box out by using that new circuit.

Rolf

Did the first generation Z have a rear window defroster? I don't think so, right? If not, it is "aftermarket". So fix a long wire to the defroster's rear cable end, put a bulp and a small batterie from a torch at the other end of that wire at +.Now fix a second wire to the - of that little battery and touch the different free cables that come from the rear. May be - if "aftermarket" - the cable is not in the harness. When the bulp lights than you've found the defroster's cable ( hopefully not the - one). Look out where the rear defroster has it's ground (-). Put a fuse in between the + cable and connect that to the switch, than go directly from the switch to the car's battery and leave the main fuse box out by using that new circuit.

Rolf

The rear window defroster is in some series ones and not others. Depends on serial number and build date. The fact is the series one cars have some parts and wiring that are a moving target. When you get a CD on the parts break down it gets more confusing until you understand how the cd or micro fische work. Notice there are two long pigtail fuse boxes in post 5, but the connectors are different. Both series one cars.