SUPER hot stick shift - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

SUPER hot stick shift

Featured Replies

My stick is super hot, I mean like burn yourslef on it hot.

I was worried about trans problems, so I took it to a shop and had the fluid in the tranny (78 5 spd) changed and I had them add an engine additive that I like to use.

It cooled the stick off some, but it is still super hot.

I pulled the tunnel cover off, and discovered that the rubber boot cover is all but gone, so there is a ton of hot air coming in there, but I don't think it should get this hot.

I have no shifting issues, no unusual noises, but the stick is really hot.

I know that the tunnel will get hot, but this seems excessive. It has been almost 17 years since I had a Z, so maybe I am just forgetting that this is normal.

So my question is, is it normal for the stick to be burning hot?

Thanks

My tunnel gets plenty warm on my automatic, and if the outside temp is over 95, it can be pretty unbearable.

However, as Walter mentioned, I have an exhaust leak in that area. I would be worth checking out on your car as well.

The road is hot, the engine is too. All that heat get channeled up the shift hole. Hell yea the shifter gets hot. I'm have this issue right now with the roadster.

  • Author

Well, I am stripping the car down to the unibody and building a resto mod, so I will find out soon enough!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

hi

when you a doing the restoration

if you are not going for a full original look or concourse

do what they do to the new cars

and fit a heat sheild through the tunnel area

so it does not get as hot

it should cool it down and the heat would be dispursed away

before it gets to your tunnel

robert:classic:

The road is hot, the engine is too. All that heat get channeled up the shift hole. Hell yea the shifter gets hot. I'm have this issue right now with the roadster.
I haven't driven my Z long enough to notice this, but the old MG would do this, the lever would get hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch. No exhaust leak on that car, either.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.