IGNORED

Seat spacers

rdefabri

I am installing a set of original seats in a 1972 240Z (purchased used and slighly moldy smelling) and noticed a scattered set of what appeared to be spacers. These are black plastic, one round, the other hex shaped. The hex shaped spacer is threaded.

My question is - where are these suppoed to reside when mounting the seat? If above the bracket attached to the unibody, it will allow the seat height to be higher (if using) or lower (if removing). I assume this is where they are supposed to be.

Not sure the explanation makes sense -- anyone have ideas? A picture maybe?

Can I remove both the hex and the round spacers and mount the seat directly to the crossmember? I keep hitting my damn head on the stupid sun roof outer rail. :stupid:

I don't see why not. From my 1972 FSM:

"Both seats can be adjusted 20mm (0.787 in) each upward and downward. The seat elevation is adjusted with the spacer indicated in dotted line in Figure BF-53. When it is desired to raise the seat, place the spacer on the seat riser. Contrarily, when desired to lower the seat, remove the spacer."

I'm fairly sure each spacer is 10mm, so I suppose by default there were two spacers above and two (unused) below? That would allow for both 20mm up and 20mm down. I don't recall seeing that many spacers in my car, however.

Well, I am pretty certain there are only 2 spacers. The 20mm up would mean you include both spacers between the crossmember and the seat. The 20mm down implies removal of both IMHO.

I'm not 100% certain, but my seats came with 4 pair per seat. Also, placing them below the cross member does nothing other than serve to limit the travel of the hex nut up the threaded bolt.

I've removed the spacers to put a slant to the seat (ie removed 1 pair in the rear - kept both pairs on the front bolts)...works fine. Enigma - Don't see why you can't remove all and lower the whole seat for increased roof clearance....Should work fine ...(you could thread them on under the seat brackets for storage??)

GWGarrard

the 240zs I've bought from original owners (71 - 73) came with 4 spacers per seat mount bolt. 2 used between seat mount and cross-member and 2 stored on the bolt below the cross-member. when I go to pick n pull yards there are usually at least a few sitting on the floor pan of every Z in the yard.

Interesting. I only have 2 per bolt, and I am surprised there is an extra set that goes below the cross member.

No worries, I'll be removing them as they make me sit too high (and I am 5'7").

One other question -- the aftermarket seats I had installed were not metric. The OEM seats are -- does anyone know the nut size for the seat bolts? I am assuming 13MM, but if someone knows, that would be a big help.

I believe that the "standard" OEM mounting was with the 2 spacers used between the seat runners and the cross-member, and the two spacers stored below were intended to be moved above the cross member to raise the seat higher if needed.

Seat mount bolt size is 8mm x 1.25, with an 8mm JIS nut which requires a 12mm hex wrench.

Bolts are sized by diameter of threaded portion and thread pitch, then length of bolt. example: 8mm x 1.25 x 25mm The hex size is not used to identify the size of a bolt or nut.

The OEM size of the nut for this bolt would be: 8mm x1.25 and would use a Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) nut for which you would use a 12mm wrench. It is hard to find this nut in the USA unless you order from the dealer, most of the time at a hardware store you would find a 13mm hex on an 8mm x 1.25 bolt/nut. It will work fine but it's not the "correct" OEM size.