upgrade rear disc brakes - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

upgrade rear disc brakes

Featured Replies

Hello everyone!

I have a 260z and I want to convert my drums to disc brake system. Can anyone tell me what conversion kit or what year Z brakes system can replaced my drums..advice plz....

Vissan

check you the hybridz.org they have a very nice sticky under the brakes section. I like the 240sx swap myself

Go to the brake section on HybridZ:

http://www.hybridz.org/

They have a long sticky section on all of the tried and true front and rear brake upgrades. All of your questions can be answered there. Also, check out Modern Motor Sports. Best kits at reasonable prices.

Modern Motor Sports:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2&PHPSESSID=4fe125e6fba2d5ddee08c06a02228c5c

Miles

I upgraded my 240Z brakes (still in the process). I used 280ZX single pot calipers up front. It entailed drilling out the strut housing mounting ears and using washers to center the caliper over a 300ZX rotor (turned down .25" in diameter to clear the caliper).

In the rear I used Ross' (Modern-motorsports.com) 240SX brackets and 300ZX rotors. I rebuilt the stub axles (bearings, seals, etc.) while there. The other work included gutting the proportioning valve in the rear of the 240Z, swapping E-cables from side to side to correct length issues with the 240SX calipers, welding up the 240SX E-cable brackets and redrilling to fit the 240Z E-cable ends, installing a 280ZX proportioning valve in place of the 240Z brake light switch (below the MC) and installing a larger MC. You'll also need 280ZX flexlines up front and the flexline kit from Ross in the rear. Some but not all is covered in the upgrade posts over at Hybridz.com.

Two suggestions, use a GOOD tubing wrench to break the brakeline fittings loose and use a small hammer or such to knock the tught fittings loose instead of constant pressure. The latter will usually round off the fitting if it is really stuck. I use lucky and had no failures here!

I'm hoping that the finished product is compliant and trouble-free from the start.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

thanks everyone for all the advice..

Vissan

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.