IGNORED

Ignition Nightmare

oinojo

Alright, i have the How to Rebuild your Nissan/Datsun book and im following the directions it says to properly time your oilpump/distributor. Well anyway, when i have the engine at TDC and the oil shaft at 11:25 with the offset on the face of the motor... the actual distributor arm is facing the wrong direction. Instead of facing the number one point on the distributor, its just past the #6 point going towards 2.

Is there something that i may have messed up? I even tried lining the shaft so that when the engine is TDC the distributor is facing the number 1 point.

Is there something that i may have messed up? I even tried lining the shaft so that when the engine is TDC the distributor is facing the number 1 point.

I don't know what you messed up, but the solution is to pull the oil pump, pull the shaft and reset it so that the rotor points where you want it to point. Much easier if you have a helper up top so you can keep repositioning it until you get it right without having to climb out from under the car over and over.

I don't know what you messed up, but the solution is to pull the oil pump, pull the shaft and reset it so that the rotor points where you want it to point. Much easier if you have a helper up top so you can keep repositioning it until you get it right without having to climb out from under the car over and over.

alright i figured out my ignition problems....but now its something else. When setting my distributor, my carbs backfire...but when i advance it the engine raises in RPM but drastically... i find myself retarding it in fear or over revving the motor. This is getting rediculous and very tedious. Some ppl tell me it could be my cam timing but that still wouldnt explain the overreving. Also when it is overreving, i am not getting any backfiring problems.

Set the timming at 10 BTDC , turn the idle adjustment back so the engine wont race. Now , the correct idle speed should be set around 700 RPM . A vacuum leak will cause a fast idle , so if it is difficult to controll the Idle speed look for a leak. Is this a injected or carbed engine ? my 2 ¢ Gary

it is carburated...and the idle screw is backed off... im thinking it must be a fairly large leak somewhere because it shoots up dramatically... like up to 6K dramatic... luckily i was able to turn the key off in time.