IGNORED

VERY INTERESTING THREAD ABOUT PAINTING WITH A ROLLER.-Hybridz

1GENZED

• 1 month later...

Just a little bump for those who were interested in this thread. The original MOPARTS thread is now at 38 pages and still going strong, it's starting to see posts of entire cars being painted using this method with some pretty interesting results. Of interest here, posted the other day was this link to a 240Z just finished.

FWIW - I've started the test project of painting the riding mower, but it's been going slowly as work has been consuming my time. Plan to get back to it this weekend for paint coats 4 & 5.

Thanks for the bump. Good reading over morning coffee.

That Z, and the other cars(valiant) looks pretty darn good for such little cash and a lot of elbow grease. I might do a test piece here in the next couple of months!

ya, I'll second that, I think I'm actually going to try that after my body work is done. Great alternative for those on a budget or who dont care too much about having the nicest looking car in town (both apply to me LOL). Although it seems if it was done right, like the orange charger, it could be a very nice paint job.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a bit of a bump, but I want to keep this thread alive. I've experimented enough with this method to commit painting my Z with it. It probably wont happen over the summer, just too humid here (Florida) but maybe next winter. I'm seriously considering doing my two other cars (my Miata and the Wife's Alfa). In the mean time, I'm trying to secure some free webspace to create a website dedicated entirely to this idea of roller painting. The original MOPARTS thread is still going strong (40+ pages) but it can be a bit difficult to navigate through. There are lots of repeat questions, and more than a few misleading suggestions. I've already talked to some of the more serious contributors/experimenters on the site, and hope to condense down the "methods and materials" into more easily understandable "how-to". Most importantly, I want to get first hand information from folks who have actually tested and worked with this method, including myself, instead of relying on heasay and opinion. It all may not happen overnight, but something this significant is worth waiting for.

Hey Rick, I've got my own website and more storage space and bandwidth than I've ever come close to using. If you come up with an html page for this I will gladly host it and any pictures for the page. It could reside somewhere like http://www.mydatsunroadster.com/roller or something like that. It may be a bit of a hassle because you couldn't update it without going through me first, but the offer is out there.

djpaul on hybirds...

i wonder if i could achieve this with a roller? LOL

q45zpowers11rw6la.jpg

its worth a try. im either thinking this color, or a deep gloss black. what do you all think?

Im sorry but there is a very big difference here...Dont have any illusions that

your going to obtain a finish anything close to the Z has above using the paint like the charger has below.

on the plus side, the charger has that vintage look with the roller paint (looks like older partially oxidized paint that has been buffed and polished)

the paint is pretty tuff will last a long time ill bet.

there is this trend in the paint market for flats and semi gloss painting.

and for 50 bucks...and a LOT of wetsanding its a great deal.

I only posted this so if anyone out there is planning to do this type of paint

application that they dont have any unrealistic expectations on how the paint will turn out.

dsc027699zn.jpg

Oh there's no question you won't get a BC/CC shine with the roller method. The paintjob on that twin-turbo 4.5L V8 240 you pictured above probably cost north of 10 grand.

Agreed :)

Someone mentioned a page or 2 back on how that type look/ paint would be great for a racecar/autocross car...or if you have a street car that you want that "just came from the track" look. I thinks its perfect for those kind of applications. I have had quite a few inquiries lately for a flat or semi gloss paintjobs...