What flywheel bolts? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

What flywheel bolts?

Featured Replies

Want to verify something as I prepare for the auto to manual tranny swap. Here's the question - the car, clutch and transmission are '71 vintage, the engine is '83 and the flywheel will be something like a '77 or so. I see numerous flywheel bolt choices, can I assume I need bolts to match the flywheel ('77 or so)? Or the engine ('83)? To me, matching the flywheel seems most logical.

since the bolts don't actually "thread into" the flywheel, but do "thread into" the crankshaft.................To me, matching the crankshaft seems most logical.

  • Author

True, but I'm wondering about the length of the bolts. Different flywheels MIGHT be different thickness.

The bolts will be the same length. I just used a 77 flywheel and an '82 tranny, on a 83 engine(it had an auto tranny)-just be sure to remove the spacer, and add the bushing...

WIll

  • Author
The bolts will be the same length. I just used a 77 flywheel and an '82 tranny, on a 83 engine(it had an auto tranny)-just be sure to remove the spacer, and add the bushing...

WIll

So which bolts did you use, Will? The ones from the '83 flex plate?
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.