IGNORED

Battery tray ugly

Sailor Bob

damn, I also have a 260Z in that color, Puke green,

My battery area seems to be ok, maybe small surface rust from battery acid eating away at the paint, in your case above, cut it all mark out yourself a new sheet of 8 gage or something and weld it up clean it, and paint :bandit:

• 5 months later...

• 1 month later...

Beautiful job!

Oh and by the way I took Gary's advise - I washed it down with baking soda (neutralize acid) gave it a thorough water wash, removed all loose rust and two coats of POR. It's still a little on the ugly side, but it's got a "J" bolt through it holding a battery in place for the past 3000 miles and from recent inspection is holding good. The underlying fender although not pretty, turned out to be solid.

I'm thinking that a guy could make an impression and mold solid covers to fit these trays rather than removing them - for those with enough steel left to hold a battery. I would buy one.

Later

Rick

SB

• 1 month later...
I put the paint on the fender under the battery tray. I will get all the wiring back into the car before I put the tray back. Nice thing about the bolt in arrangement.

Hey James, I've been saving your emailed photos in their own special folder - you should put them on disk as a tutorial on rust repair. Makes me almost feel like trailering my car over the mountains and back to the coast to get help on my battery area repair. Almost. Just got to get my friend the welder to come out of the hills to tackle this area. Otherwise I still haven't decided whether to replace my passenger floor pan. With some minor welding and some POR15 I think it will be okay.

This is a great thread because the battery tray area is one that maybe not all, but quite a few, can use help with. Gary D.

• 4 months later...