IGNORED

Identification of wheel...

280z1975

Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem. I need to find out what wheel types these wheels are as I only have three of the wire hubcaps and the 'A' wheelcaps. I really like the look they give and plan to re-chrome them all and have the acutal rims painted to match the car, Nissan paint code 305 Light Metalic Blue.

If you know what type they are let me know. Then if possiable I would like to locate another wire hubcap and 'A' Wheelcap or just go ahead and replace the 'A' wheel caps with some Z logo ones.

Thanks for the help.

post-10327-14150796593262_thumb.jpg

Appliance Industries. What we used to call single wire baskets. They use an odd and proprietary lug nut system that is probably no longer available. In fact, finding any replacement parts for those wheels will be very difficult, as Appliance stopped making them at least 20 years ago, and went bankrupt around 1990 or so.

You should also know that those of us who had to work on tires and wheels for a living in the '80s despised those wheels, as they were especially prone to causing steering wheel vibrations (shimmy) due to the odd lug system, especially on German Capris and Z-cars.

Arne,

Thanks for the identification ...

My uncle only had three of the wires and center peices because as he explained to me the design made the front drivers side prone to falling off. He said he replaced the wire and hubcap three times :P .

So would these not be a good choice to put on my Z car (assuming i can find a replacement)? Anyone out there use these or have used these wheels in the past?

I was thinking of going to 15" rims eventually because it is easier to find tires in that size and you have more choice. From what I have read the 14" tires are harder and harder to find.

Well, My experience selling custom wheels for 20+ years leads me to say that these might not be my LAST choice of wheels for a Z (or any other car), but pretty close to it.

They are narrow, heavy, don't center on the hubs well, are prone to losing parts (as your uncle mentioned), and were even known to make noises while you drove down the road (the wire baskets would rub against the wheel). And all those problems were when they were new and parts were readily available. Now...

Well, My experience selling custom wheels for 20+ years leads me to say that these might not be my LAST choice of wheels for a Z (or any other car), but pretty close to it.

They are narrow, heavy, don't center on the hubs well, are prone to losing parts (as your uncle mentioned), and were even known to make noises while you drove down the road (the wire baskets would rub against the wheel). And all those problems were when they were new and parts were readily available. Now...

Humm ... I think I may be in the market for some 15" rims ...

Still, I do like the look of them ... but if the preform that bad I may just fix them up and sell them to someone who will use them for show rather than a daily driver ...

I wouldn't spend much time and effort to refurbish them, I don't think you'll find very many people are at all interested in them. They are not popular at all these days.

Well if they aren't popular would anyone out there like to sell me a wire wheel and cap cheap so I can at least complete my unpopular collection :lick: ?

As far as cost in refurbishing them ... I was only going to spend time on cleaning the wheels up and painting them when I painted my car (not much extra effort) then polishing up the wire wheels. While I would love to get a new set of rims I don't have the money at the moment for new ones (Got things that are truely broke to fix) and the tires on these wheels still have a lot of life in them ...