IGNORED

Back in the saddle again.

Hi

I'm back in the Datsun love affair after a 28 yr breakup. Had a 71 in 76, it was great car but I was a kid and it almost did me in. I'm back at it again with a 77 280z, I was looking for a 71, but not much luck with out major bucks or major overhaul. Anyway, bought it on Ebay for a very reasonable price from California. The car looks great and is running with almost no rust - one small spot on the hood, original paint, still has original paper stickers under the hood.

It looks good enough after a little compound that I don't think I'm even gonna paint it. Pinstripes bug me but underneath the paint is obviosly not sunfaded - pinstripes will have to stay.

Anyway I have three questions for informed/experienced members:

1/ I didn't get a manual - whats the correct wheel and tire size?

2/ Car has original California exhaust - Header, pipes and proper sounding muffler any thoughts or information are appreciated.

3/ Steering is loose, ball joints Checked - Would bushings do the trick after new tires??

SB

Depends why your steering is loose. Could be caused by a number of reasons such as worn rack bushings, worn tie-rod ends, worn ball joints, or a worn rack.

Youll have to get someone to rock the steering wheel back an forth, while you examine the steering assembly looking for the culprit.

thanks for the response Mr. Cam,

I had a look at the front end in play - the ball joints look tight, the steering rod entering the pinion has some transverse play, on the rack sleeve there are a couple of bushings - I can see play in them, but they are rubber, does this sound normal?

SB