IGNORED

1977 280z Zzap

ZTEJAS

My louvers which, according to the original owner were dealer installed, are mounted with no drilling. The mounting brackets slide under the weatherstrip and are actually glued in place.

Steven,

I have owned a couple of 280Z's with the same type of louver installation as yours and while I don't doubt the original owner I would have to believe that the dealer may have bought them from some other aftermarket supplier (most likely to increase the profit margin). At the moment I am looking at a factory accessory brochure (from either 1977 or 1978) which depicts the louvers as "Rear Window Shades" and then (this is funny) goes on to mention that they are "The ultimate in exotica." The copyright mentions no date but is imprinted with the 'Datsun' logo and Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A. I need to scan this piece of literature as there are some funny items such as a Clarion CB radio, roof racks for F10,710 and 810 wagons. It also shows two versions of the AMCO shift knobs and AMCO rubber floormats with the 'Z' logo on them. The cover is also period correct with a late '70's couple leaning against a copper colored 280Z parked in the middle of a grassy field.

This style of louver continues on in the S130 series as evidenced by the 1981 280ZX brochure that I have opened to page 4 and 5. It shows a picture of a gray 1981 280ZX 2 seater Deluxe (just like my '81 280ZX as described before) with the same 'drill your hatch' style louver and the caption reads: "280ZX 2-seater Deluxe with optional rear-window shade louvers". It's comical but the '82 280ZX that I just picked up in Huntington Beach also has these damned louvers on it. They rae quite heavy on the 280ZX enough so that the hatch struts are completely useless and need to be replaced.

Sorry,

I think you might be referring to 240ztt; at his website:

http://www.240ztt.com/nissan.html

you will find a link to his 1971 GC-10 Skyline 4 door with an L28 and 'triples'. In fact we spoke of this thread last evening and he mentioned that he will never sell a car as rare as that again. He regrets selling it now. The car is still in existence and lives in Texas. The person who owns it has a site on cardomain.com and posts regularly over at zcar.com.

Yes you are right that is the exact one I was thinking of.

:stupid:

• 7 years later...
  • 7 years later...

I'm the original owner of a zappp. All I can add is they're a rust magnet, especially on the frame.  That's why they're so scarce.  Lots of states dont allow frame welding.  I dont go over rail tracks fast. 

It's a head turner. Front air dam is aftermarket, but nice.  I'd never go fast enough to use it anymore.  LOL

20191204_124451.jpg

Mirrors are all original and are a bear to keep up with.  The interior ball joints were weak from the factory.  Unfortunately the lower valance was a rusted tangled mess and unsalvageable. Photo was taken a few months ago.  This is my baby.

I'm the original owner of a zappp. All I can add is they're a rust magnet, especially on the frame.  That's why they're so scarce.  Lots of states dont allow frame welding.  I dont go over rail tracks fast. 

It's a head turner. Front air dam is aftermarket, but nice.  I'd never go fast enough to use it anymore.  LOL