IGNORED

question about oil temp gauge

Dreco

I was wondering if anyone has used an oil temp gauge and/or external oil cooler... the 240Z didnt come stock with this and I was wondering how to install one.... I was going to go with the oil cooler from motorsport auto, but it doesn't look like they offer an oil temp gauge kit... anyone know where to get one??

well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to tap the oil pan... thought I could just use an adapter on the drain plug... like a 1/8 npt female to metric type adapter.. problem is I don't know what thread size the oil pan is.. I've done some searching and think it may be 16.4mX1.33 if that's the case I don't think there is an adapter with those 2 sizes.... I was hoping it was a 16MX1.5, then I could make that work...

Try eBay "nissan datsun 240z oil cooler". They have one going right now. It is everything you need to install an oil cooler. It bolts right on. I believe they even have a place for a sensor to be attached. If not, just drill and tap into the aluminum block. Screw in your sensor and you will have everything you want. Simple!

You can probably just pick up an oil temp guage from autometer and tap the oil pan. That would probably give you the best overall indication of temp.

NO NO NO, don't tap the sump, you don't take Oil Temp from the sump as it's the hottest place and most in-accuate. You need to take it from the block. The best place is from near the oil filter, preferably with a dry-sump setup.

NO NO NO, don't tap the sump, you don't take Oil Temp from the sump as it's the hottest place and most in-accuate. You need to take it from the block. The best place is from near the oil filter, preferably with a dry-sump setup.

but don't want a reading from the hottest part??

No, you want working temp ie the temp going to the bearings etc, that occurs after pumping & filtering. If you measure sump temp then you are measuring the splash cooling temp.

gotcha thanks... I saw a part in the nissan motorsports catalog that showed an adapter for a remote oil filter/oil cooler set up... it had a spot on there for an oil temp sending unit...

I am telling you, the one on EBAY has everything you need. It will not cost you very much if you bid on it with 10 secs. to go! I remember racing at Laguna Seca one hot summer. I had put the lines in for a cooler but had not installed the cooler. (ran out of time) My oil temp was running 290'. I quickly plumbed the cooler and installed it. It dropped the temp 50'. I was very pleased with my cooler and my 240 oil temp. If you are running in competition, put on a cooler.