How do I remove pistons from the caliper? - Page 4 - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

How do I remove pistons from the caliper?

Featured Replies

As I noted in Post number 7 in this thread, I have done this job with just a hand pumped bicycle tire pump. You don't need a lot of pressure.

  • 1 month later...

I noticed no one mensioned a grease gun.

I use a small grease gun filled with oil to remove brake pistons . It excerts lots of pressure and is controllable .. The end of the gun with nipple connector is removed and the pipe screws in to the caliper.

Clean up afterwards with solvent .. No need for compressed air ..

I noticed no one mensioned a grease gun.

I use a small grease gun filled with oil to remove brake pistons . It excerts lots of pressure and is controllable .. The end of the gun with nipple connector is removed and the pipe screws in to the caliper.

Clean up afterwards with solvent .. No need for compressed air ..

Excellent point! Granted, this is a really safe way to remove caliper pistons....although it will certainly take longer and is messy, for sure!!! But, its not as though removing caliper pistons is a tiddy task!

  • 1 month later...

I just had to reply to this thread! I did the same thing that enigma did when trying to get the pistons out of the caliper, I had my thumb in between the two pistons though and wasnt expecting it to come out that fast and whammm, smashed the hell out of my thumb. Its a good thing my compressor is just a small one that holds 100psi instead of the one they have at a shop!:stupid:

  • Author

Hurts like a bitch huh. I can laugh now that I have done it to myself. I think I actually bruised or cracked the bone in my knuckle. It took a long time to heal up.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Same with my thumb it hurt like a bitch and I think I cracked a bone or something, but I laughed at myself for not even thinking before doing it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.