IGNORED

Stiffen and strengthen! HOW?

cremmenga

Ok so my cousin got back from boot camp, the one who went to wyo tech for high performace engines and turbo deisels. Sounds like on my '72 240z that we are doing a 350sbc swap with a turbo or maybe even twin turbos. My question is where would you guys strengthen the car and how? I'm having an 8 point rolecage put in along with front and rear sway bars with v links on the front bar, but with around 500 hp I'm not sure thats enough?! Just thinking of adding some support bars, to hold her together, if you have any suggestions where to put them please let me know. I'm not real sure where the weakest portions of the z's are. Thanks alot guys

I already had new floors, floor supports, front frame rails, all of that put in. I was thinking the same thing as you!! even though you can't see the rust doesn't mean its not under there, so i thought while I have the engine out I might as well do everything right the first time. thanks for the info!!!

My question is where would you guys strengthen the car and how? I'm having an 8 point rolecage put in along with front and rear sway bars with v links on the front bar, but with around 500 hp I'm not sure thats enough?! Just thinking of adding some support bars, to hold her together, if you have any suggestions where to put them please let me know. I'm not real sure where the weakest portions of the z's are. Thanks alot guys

Below is the Hybrid Z web site. It is an excellant site to get those questions answered. I have also included the link to my Photo Buket. It addresses to some degree (ignore floorpan pics) the strengthening of the frame rails in the engine compartment area. Add Bad Dogs floor frame rails and it gives you a good start in the direction you want to go.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d81/jackhammer02/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php

I see you mentioned that you have replaced your floor pans and frame rails. If these are from Zeddfindings than you have made a wise choice. But there is a however. If you plan on installing a larger turbo or V-8 into your 240 we at Bad Dog recommend you add more beef to your frame rails (even if they are new). Either do it yourself or use ours, either way you're going to need them.

Our rails are 3-times thicker than the OEM rails and the new version coming out in early January '06 will tie into the rear just behind the seats and before the diff. It will a side flange running the lenght of the floor pan to add strength and make welding it on easier.

The first set are being shipped to Ken Jones who is doing a 5.6L Titan installation into his 240.

If you plan on using a larger front sway bar weld on plates there too to stop the inner fender from breaking away from the front frame rail. And you might want to add a set of single point jack plates that allow you to lift your Z from one side and get both tires off at once. Go to: www.baddogparts.com and click on the "Products" button. We make the front sway bar and jack plates as you might imagine.

Good Luck with your project.

I see you mentioned that you have replaced your floor pans and frame rails. If these are from Zeddfindings than you have made a wise choice. But there is a however. If you plan on installing a larger turbo or V-8 into your 240 we at Bad Dog recommend you add more beef to your frame rails (even if they are new). Either do it yourself or use ours, either way you're going to need them.

Our rails are 3-times thicker than the OEM rails and the new version coming out in early January '06 will tie into the rear just behind the seats and before the diff. It will a side flange running the lenght of the floor pan to add strength and make welding it on easier.

The first set are being shipped to Ken Jones who is doing a 5.6L Titan installation into his 240.

If you plan on using a larger front sway bar weld on plates there too to stop the inner fender from breaking away from the front frame rail. And you might want to add a set of single point jack plates that allow you to lift your Z from one side and get both tires off at once. Go to: www.baddogparts.com and click on the "Products" button. We make the front sway bar and jack plates as you might imagine.

Good Luck with your project.

Wish you would have told me all of this about 6 months ago!!LOL anyway I do plan on doing all the suspenion etc. but I am a college student working two jobs now just to pay the bills. the z is still in the body shop right now, but i'll look you up when it comes time to do all of the rest!! Hey do you guys ever doing any sponsoring?? I have some friends that live in calafornia and they all have like tons of sponsors that do all of this cool stuff for them and here in the midwest win you ask about sponsors they laugh at you or hand you a bag with 5 business cards and a dozen pens with there name on it and can't forget about their sticker either, and all you get is a 10% discount card. I hate to sound ungrateful but damn!!! come on!!!anyway i'm sure you know what I mean. this project will take lots of years and lots more $$$$, But when i'm done it will be the badest thing in the midwest!!