IGNORED

Some pics of interest

g72s20

Yep. Australia got 240K GT's but they were badged as GL's

Not true if you look at the build configuration of the cars.

Only the first batch arriving in Oz had the GT intake manifold. All others have the basic 'log' manifold common to everything from 240k's to 240C, 260C and even the Patrol 4WD.

Also, every 240k I've looked at has one turn too many on the main springs both front and rear for them to be GT parts.

How many 240k's have 3.90 diff gears with the four speed gearbox? Again, these were standard on the first batch.

Since those were the main differences (apart from cosmetics like badges) then the GL's were NOT GT's by any stretch of the imagination.

Like every other manufacturer selling cars under the ADR's, Nissan was legally required to specify EXACTLY what the car was on the ADR plate.

So, if the ADR plate doesn't specify that the car is a GT then it never was a GT (something I only recently learned from a wiley lawyer!)

Falcon GT phase 4 and the torana XU-2.

Totally unrelated to Datsuns but of historical interest, the 'new' Torana was not to be an XU-2.

The original XU-1 actually referred to the factory build code for the body and made a pretty neat badge to stick on.

Unfortunately by the time the new 'weapon' in the guise of a highly modified Torana was to come about the build code XU-2 had already been used (on a taxi variant of the full size HG sedan of all things!).

The V8 Torana was actually code W-51.

Also, technically the Ford Falcon GT that didn't see the light of day (apart from 3 red pepper and 1 mint green cars) was a GTHO Phase 4. The Ford Falcon GT appeared in effectively the phase 4 guise without the hoo-ha under Regular Purchase Option 83 ('RPO83') where all the needed bits were fitted without the badges.

Not to hijack, but could you explain this to us "Yanks".

E

In a nutshell, a self opionated jackass of a motoring writer by the name of Evan Green set out to be the consience of Australia whether anyone else liked it or not. Published a blistering series of attacks on the high powered cars that HE considered unsafe without regard to reality or facts.

Caused such a stink in the media that the politicians got in the act (as they are wont to do) who started screaming like they had wet nappies.

End result was that the big three (Holden, Chrysler and Ford) canned their planned supercars and we lost the edge in top end motoring.

The insurance companies were handed a gilt edged reason for ripping everyone off on the basis of badging. (always did wonder if that bastard got a really nice retirement cheque from the insurance industry - he should have!)

Sort of like Nader really with his 'unsafe at any speed' about the Corvair when in reality it was the drivers who were unsafe at any speed.

So, if the ADR plate doesn't specify that the car is a GT then it never was a GT (something I only recently learned from a wiley lawyer!)

Awwwww don't tell me that I found it easier to sleep thinking my C110 GL was a GT, you've gone and ruined it for me.

I might as well build a fake GTR now................except those damn parts cost sooooooo much. Guess I'll have to settle for GL.

Like every other manufacturer selling cars under the ADR's, Nissan was legally required to specify EXACTLY what the car was on the ADR plate.

Not exactly. They had to identify the car and the adr's it complied to. Whatever the car was called got stamped on the compliance plate, regardless of what intake manifolds, or spring rates it had. If it was called a 240K SSS, or 240K XYZ that would have been stamped on the plate. There were no Legal rules at to what could be called a GT, Car companies can pretty much call a car whatever they want. They could have made a 120Y GT if they wanted.

What im interested in is what make a 240K GT different to a GL, not whether it had a little badge on it proclaiming it to be a GT. And is seems like your the right person to ask.

So, any pics of the intake manifold? how many turns on the springs? What other differences are there between a GL and a GT.

So the first batch of 240K's were GTs? Were they badged as GT's or GL's?

And they have 4 speed gearboxes?

That might explain why my shifter only goes up to the number 4.

Maybe this would be better starting a new thread on the 240K GT, and letting 240kconvertible have his thread back.

i've heard similar stories why the badging was changed to gl. they make sense in that a gl in the jdm and other export market denotes swb. except for badging, the aussie gl is a gt, if in limited trim. even if the aussie gt intake was different, wouldn't it be due to a change in vendor or design rather than the difference between performance and luxury? or are you saying the early gt badged cars came with dual hitachi's? that in itself doesn't make it more of a gt than the single carb version. in fact, nissan labled all the 6cyl c110's and 610's gt.