IGNORED

Stub axle rebuild question

ezzzzzzz

I'm calling on those gone before me. I assembled my 240Z rear stub axles today. All new parts from Nissan were used. The seals were pressed in until they seated as shown in the FSM.The only difference was I used the 280Z stub axles and companion flanges. The housings were marked "B" and I reused the "B" distance pieces that were not deformed or crushed. I ran down the nuts with my impact (about 500 b/ft) which I know exceeded the factory torque spec. I could disassemble and install new distance pieces and retorque if I need to. When I rotate the stub axles there is no noise but they have moderate rolling resistance. I don't suspect any problems but wanted to hear from anyone who has done this and experienced the same thing.

When I rotate the stub axles there is no noise but they have moderate rolling resistance.

As far as I remember this is how mine ended up too. They rotated just fine but they didn't "free spin" like a bicycle tire. Once the tire went back on they rotated just like before they came off.

The old saying should drive your decision:

"Best to do it right the first time then do it over"

500+ ft-lbs of torque is more than twice what spec calls for. Over tightening does not make it better ....... it can cause damage that will show up downstream. The higher torque increases pre-load on the stackup and you are asking for trouble especially if you have rolling resistance on the assy. I'd vote to do it over and avoid the labor involved getting to these parts.

While 500 lbs (probably closer to 425-450 lb/ft) sounds like a lot of torque it really isn't in the scheme of things considering the size of the components. The most probable damage would be to distort the distance piece as it is longer and thinner than the inner bearing races. Damage to the stub axle threads might also occur. I agree the torque is too high for the application though. I loosened one nut, tapped things free and retorqued to about 200-250 lb/ft as required. The rolling resistance remains the same. I'll retorque the other stub axle too. I also failed to consider the lack of leverage when rotating the assembly with only the stub axle. I'm sure the addition of a wheel/tire will show much less resistance, if any. Thanks for the insight.