IGNORED

Carbon Canister?

jszarecki

not sure if thid is in teh rigth place, or even if i named it right, but what the hell is this thing for? mine has 3 outlets on it...but one was open with no hose on it so i put a stopper on it.

how often do you have to change the filter at the bottom of it?

The three hose connections are distributor vaccum, purge, and tank. It just another part of the emissions control. The distributor V C hose gets a vacuum signal from the distributor, the purge hose goes to the intake manifold and the tank hose goes to a check valve and then to the liquid/vapor seperator (sometimes called expansion tank) in the right rear quarter panel. I don't know the mileage interval for changing the filter but if it looks good, I leave it, and if it's dirty I clean it and put it back in. The FSM says 30000 mi or 24 months.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I've searched and couldn't fine the answer. How in the heck do you remove the old carbon canister filter to put the new one in? I've twisted that piece on the bottom almost in fear of breaking it, and it wont budge. The Chilton book shows it just slipping out, but that's not working, either.

I looked through he FSM (Emission Control.pdf) for the '78 and it doesn't discuss the carbon canister much. It has the information for the canister filter on page 25, but that page is the copyright information.