IGNORED

Head No. Location

viparz

My Dad just rang me to tell me the Head No. The number he quoted me is N-42. Now, after having done some reading, was there a N42 head and an N42 block?

My block is an L28. I was under the assumption it was from a 83 280ZX (F54 Block, P79 Head). Obviously this is partly or wholly untrue.

Dad said that the number was at the front of the engine between the first and second spark plugs.

If this N42 is the head no, then how do I find out what block I have?

If the N42 is the block no, then how do I find out what head I have?

My engine No is L28 275258. i that helps.

Block Casting number is on the carbie side of the engine block. Somewhere down the bottom, I think between the engine mount and back of the engine.

If you told your dad where to look, he was telling you the head type.

There was a N42 head and N42 block. It your engine is from a later 280zx then its probably a N42 head and an F54 block. I have the same combo on the garage floor out of a 1984 280C.

I think the P79 heads were on the earlier 280zx 's

There was a N42 head and N42 block. It your engine is from a later 280zx then its probably a N42 head and an F54 block. I have the same combo on the garage floor out of a 1984 280C.

I think the P79 heads were on the earlier 280zx 's

Other way around. The L28 in my car is from a late (82 or 83) 280ZX. I have verified that it is an F54/P79 combo.

According to Bryan Little's site, the N42 head came on 75-76 L28s. It has square exhaust ports and bigger valves than earlier heads.

Luke, while I cannot check my block number at this point in time, sounds like that would be the setup in the car.

Looking at Datsun Z Garage and some other sites, that would give a comp ratio of about 10:1 right?

Did the P79 head ever make it to Aus?

Thanks for the info guys