Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Page 4 - Australia & NZ - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Featured Replies

I have done a couple of rear disc conversions using a custom bracket to mount R31 Skyline callipers to the hub flange.

R31 disc rotors are also used.

Can be done without pulling the stub axle (but after this many years, the bearings could probably do with replacing).

The beauty of the R31 callipers is that they the simplest handbrake mechanism that I have ever seen (some calliper/handbrake setups are quite horrendous).

I have several pics. if anyone is interested.

Further, the inspection at Adelaides' Regency Park Depot, went without a hitch so I guess they were so factory looking that it didn't matter.

Welcome to the club Nissanman,

I'd love to see the brackets you use, I've got all the parts for this r31conversion a local engineer makes a 4 bolt bracket but it starts out as 20mm plate steel, I'm worried about unsprung weight.

I'd also be interested in the bracket. Weighing up the cost difference between machining new brackets or just ordering the US maxima brackets...

Luke

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Apparently, editting a post does not generate an email:finger:

  • 3 weeks later...
You can get the bracket from pick-a-part..... I did the rear disc conversion; got all my parts from pick-a-part out if a skyline station wagon (R30 I think).... it was a straight bolt on and only required minimal fabrication to the bracket - had to increase the diameter of the hole to fit the z..... the whole setup cost me $100!!!! That included calipers, discs, brackets, and brakes..... I've got the h/brake connected and it works well.... had to extend the cable slighlty due to it rubbing on the drive shafts.

Marc.

Nissanman i'm just wondering how you made up the bracket, or if you just modified the exisiting one? r r31 brakes slightly better than r30 or are they the same? sorry, i've never had either of them infront of me, and i dont want to have the discs off my car and find i'm missing something or dont know how to do it! LOL

The brackets were made up in my head at first then 6mm masonite, finally from 6mm plate.

That plate thickness positioned the calliper dead centre over the rotor.

R30 rear callipers are galaxies apart from the R31:rolleyes:

The chief difference, and the best feature, is the R31 handbrake mechanism.

It is just soooo simple and compact compared to anything but the shoe type mechanism you get on the Bluebird (or Commodore).

The R31 rotor just slips on the rear hub where the drum used to be, same centre hole diam. of 68mm, and you mount the wheel up as normal.

R31 setup as below: -

post-13952-1415079990549_thumb.jpg

post-13952-14150799905885_thumb.jpg

post-13952-1415079990628_thumb.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.