IGNORED

240z motor swaps ?

Sick Srt-4

I've been reading all over the net and haven't really found a GOOD site for info on motor swaps.

What exactly are the do's and don'ts. The car I'll be building will be track only so smog stuff is out the door.

I've been thinking of doing a RB26DET/TT or other RB series. Or perhaps SR? motor swap, the numbers money wise look astronomical for a RB26DETT. I also am not intersted in doing a V8 swap.

Thinking along the lines of HIGH BOOST, HIGH LAG 4 or 6 cylinder turbo motors.. Won't mind the turbo(s) spooling like 2-3k shy of redline.

Any ideas or links ? My car is a 1972 240zx

Like everyone else here covered, www.hybridz.org is the place to go. There are A LOT of options, here's a short list:

turbo L28

twin turbo L28

stroked turbo L28

RB25DET

RB26DETT

RB20DET

SR20DET

VG30DET

and there's plenty more including Mazda's 13B-REW twin sequential turbo rotary. A lot of nasty engines fit in the Zed's big engine bay, so look around.

On the cost side of things, there's a few members here who have done the rb26 swap and spent well over $10k. The cheatest TURBO swap is an L28 pulled from a junker 280ZX turbo. Long block and trans could be had for under 1K, and it's almost a bolt-on. If you were open to an 8 cylinder, the Chevrolet LS1 fits with ease, along with the 350, a 383 stroker, or more. Also a Ford 351 Cleveland fits. Any small block V-8 will fit, just about.

Or you could take an original aproach and try the SRT-4's 2.4l DOHC turbo 4 cylinder. I don't recal of anyone doing that swap yet. Or a Mitsubishi 4G63 (Evo motor) swap. Haven't heard of that one yet either. The choices are basically only limited by your imagination; and wallet.

Dave