IGNORED

removing plastic rear 1/4 panels

TomoHawk

I broke one the first time. The screw under the gas-stay mount removes the entire mount (I figured this out too late). You'll also want to remove the taillight panes and the seatbelt mechanism cover on the strut tower to facilitate this procedure. At this age they don't like to be twisted. Oh, and you've removed the rear deck already, right?

it also might help to heat them up a little with a hair dryer or leave in the sun for a while to soften them up. i found this helped to reduce my 'stress level' when bending 30+ year old plastic trim and allowed them to have a little more 'give'.

bart

tomo,

when you say hatch stays, do you mean the brackets for the hatch struts?

that's what i thought you were referring to.

the 240z only has one strut, so by heating the panel up 'a little', i was able to bend it around without removing the bracket.

after i got the panel out, i still couldn't see how the bracket was attached (welded?) so unfortunately, i'm no help to you there.

You're right Paul,

To get those panels out:

Have replacement rivets or rivet pins on hand!

1. Remove the dome light finisher panel.

2. Remove the 1/4 window surround panel(s), including any screw(s) and the rivets.

3. unbolt the hatch stay bracket from behind. There is a 12mm nut on the back of the bracket. Use a support for the hatch to keep it up.

4. remove the plastic seatbelt mechanism cover for the desired side(s). Then the 1/4 panel rivet(s) behind the cover.

5. There are some screws and rivets that in each rear 1/4 panel that need to be removed.

6. The driver's side panel will just pull out with a little bending. NO HEAT REQUIRED!

7. the passenger side panel is not as easy. First you must remove a U-shaped pop-out piece behind where the the hatch stay bracket was. Then you can remove that panel with a little bending.

Assembly is just the reverse of the removal.

BTW, behind the passenger panel is the fuel tank vapor/expansion tank. In fact some screws that hold the panel to the side also hold that tank.

the backs of my panels were dirty because the rear quarters of the car body are open to the elements at the bottom. you might want to close off this area somehow. It's probably a major source of fumes.

You might as well clean the panels front & back. I also painted mine.

thx