IGNORED

I'm a somewhat clueless newbee

QMan

Hi All -

I bought a project and I'm not really sure of what I have. Some pictures are in my gallery.

This was gutted and fiberglass 1/4s and fenders were added (well, one 1/4 was 'installed') to make a SCCA/race car. The L24 is long gone but I received an N42 L28 in the deal that appears to have new pistons & rods.

First of all it's a 9/71 production date 240Z - is this a `71 or `72? My guess is a 72.

Here's the short block:

N42 L28 (#119106)

P30 crank (what crank is this - is it good?)

new pistons with the designation "50 mm / ID .12" on the top of them

I have 2 heads:

a bare E88 with what appears to be some mild porting

a N47 with what appears to be a fresh valve job

a camshaft with nothing on it other than these characters:

"ERSON (or LRSON) 304AS" and under that "B126 110 483 T"

A triple Weber (40DCOE) setup on a Cannon intake

I have no paperwork to indicate whether the block was bored or if the head(s) were milled. Any idea from this description what kind of motor he was trying to build and how would I go about trying to put it all together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and nice to meet you,

~Q

First of all it's a 9/71 production date 240Z - is this a `71 or `72? My guess is a 72.

There's a lot of confusion regarding model years. There's whatever the dealer originally claimed as well as when the car was originally registered. Another factor is the "series" of the car. Your car has a lighter above the fusebox which is a sign of an series I or II car. My 9/71 model, which is titled as a '72, has the lighter in the dashboard which was a series III change. 9/71 and 10/71 were certainly transition months and it was quite possible to have overlap during that time.

Here's a place to see production changes:

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

a camshaft with nothing on it other than these characters:

"ERSON (or LRSON) 304AS" and under that "B126 110 483 T" A triple Weber (40DCOE) setup on a Cannon intake

That's a "Sig Erson" performance grind cam, probably a good match for the 40 DCOE's. Erson did nice camwork in the 70's and 80's and did quite a bit of L Motor cam development. I Think the company is gone now, for quite a while.

Is there a safe way to put these engine parts together and see if this thing will run or am I better off kind of starting over with known good parts? Do I buy a gasket kit and slap it together and see what happens? I'm really in a quandry as to what to do with this unassembled engine.

Thanks in advance,

~Q

Your's looks to be HLS30-46xxx. Is this true? Mine is HLS30-47xxx also produced in 9/71. Mine was/is titled as a '72, but like MikeW said it is quite possible to have overlap in 9/71. I also have the lighter in the dashboard.

Do you plan to restore it or make a racecar? Or maybe both?

Oh, and Welcome!

Nate

"new pistons with the designation "50 mm / ID .12" on the top of them"

This stamping on TOP of a piston indicates the cylinders have been bore

out by the amount shown. Is " ID .12" " a typing error? Or does it say " OD "?

ID refers to the INSIDE DIAMETER where as OD refers to the OUTSIDE DIAMETER. I would think the bore in your engine is .12" over that of the stock diameter. Find out what the stock bore dia. is and compare.

Buy a gasket kit ( I recomend FELLPRO ) slap that beast together and tell us about how it is.

WELCOME TO THIS WEB SITE QMan !

- JEFF

I'm pretty certain it said "ID" but I'll go check right now...

~Q

"new pistons with the designation "50 mm / ID .12" on the top of them"

This stamping on TOP of a piston indicates the cylinders have been bore

out by the amount shown. Is " ID .12" " a typing error? Or does it say " OD "?

ID refers to the INSIDE DIAMETER where as OD refers to the OUTSIDE DIAMETER. I would think the bore in your engine is .12" over that of the stock diameter. Find out what the stock bore dia. is and compare.

Buy a gasket kit ( I recomend FELLPRO ) slap that beast together and tell us about how it is.

WELCOME TO THIS WEB SITE QMan !

- JEFF

All the pistons say "50MM" & "I.D.12" on them. Wouldn't an overbore have .012 instead of 12? I don't know - you guys and gals deal with them more than I do.

Which head should I use? The N47 appears have new valves in it and the E88 is bare - go with the N47, right? That's a good match with the dished pistons too, correct?

Also, the cam isn't in the head. Am I ok to use that Erson 304AS? Any idea what kind of cam this is?

Thanks all - this should be fun,

~Q

Your's looks to be HLS30-46xxx. Is this true? Mine is HLS30-47xxx also produced in 9/71. Mine was/is titled as a '72, but like MikeW said it is quite possible to have overlap in 9/71. I also have the lighter in the dashboard.

Do you plan to restore it or make a racecar? Or maybe both?

Oh, and Welcome!

Nate

Thanks for the welcome CGZ,

It is a HLS30-42xxx but it's still a close relative if it's a 9/71! My plans for it are unsure. I'm right in the middle of a big financial crunch and may have to sell it but for right now I'm going to see what I have, how much it would be just to get it to run with the existing parts and then see if I can put it together - That's where this forum comes in!

I like to think once my two girls grow up a little bit (one is 4 yrs and the other is 4mo) that I'll be able to spend a little more time on it both driving and racing it (SCCA).

~Q