IGNORED

Z Project Recommendations

Pennyman

Hey everyone. My long terms goal is to get my 76 Z a little faster, a little sweeter, and a little meaner on a moderate, part time, student budget.

~ I found a set of 6-2-1 headers on a junkyard Z for $38 with a little rust, but salvagable. I'm thinking 2.25" tubing with a Dynomax turbo muffler, as it seems to have a pretty good following around here and doesn't require a separate resonator to cut down the interior noise, and the 2.25 tubing will help keep a little backpressure for midrange torque (Should I go 2.5"? please tell me why.)

~ Also, I'm thinking KYB gas non-adjustables, because they cut down on the "Squatting Z" syndrome and aren't as expensive as adjustable struts, but still are pretty stiff, I think (any other recommendations? tokico blues? please persuade me, I like suggestions).

~ Also, What springs would be good for autoX / mountain road driving and lower about 1.5"? I'm more interested in performance than pillowy soft ride (but I don't wanna crack my back or my frame rails, hehe). MSA springs? tokico? eibach? AZ z car? help?

And finally, an LSD project which you'll hear about soon enough....

Thanks fellas, I know you can handle this one, hehe.

I would go with the Tokico HP's (blue) and the Arizona Zcar springs. I had KYB's and thought they sucked, they were too week for the AZC springs. replace all the bushings in the car with some harder ones, the ABS steering couplier is great for tramsmitting the feel of the road to the steering wheel.

I was having a similar conversation last night. IMO, the standard (read stock) shock is the KYB. Tokicos, Konis, coil-overs, adjustables, etc. all upgrade the standard in performance and price. If you want to autocross well, buy an autocross shock and an autocross spring. If you want to drive on the street without cracking your back, buy the KYBs. I agree with Chris's take on the issue, but be prepared to feel the road.

IMO, go with the 2.25" exhaust tubing.

Hello, Pennyman, I recently rebuilt the front & rear suspension on my '73. I bought a strut/spring package on e-bay that included the Tokico HP blue struts and Tokico springs. I also replaced all the bushings with Energy Suspension urethane bushings. I got the bushing set on e-bay, too. This combination has yielded a firm, yet comfortable ride. But, anything would have been an improvement over the old suspension... the struts were shot and the bump stops were missing. A couple of the original bushings were pretty well deteriorated. My teeth darn near rattled out of my jaw when I hit a bump before. Now it's a lot smoother! And no missing teeth!

I liked the Tokico adjustables, too. 26th used to have urethane bushings also. Very nice stiff ride with my old 6" slots. I will probably put the adjustables back on as well as new urethane bushings. What's the lowering spring of choice, here? Arizona Z?