Mystery cam - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Mystery cam

Featured Replies

Does anyone know of a way to identify a particular cam through measurement? At least to see what clearances would be needed.

for lift: measure the base circle with calipers. next, measure the center of the lobe. subtract the first number from the second. then multiply by 1.5 (that's the rocker arm ratio). do that for both intake and exhaust.

to tell what size lash pad you're gonna need, you need to have a stock cam available. measure the base circle of each and then apply the difference

  • Author
for lift: measure the base circle with calipers. next, measure the center of the lobe. subtract the first number from the second. then multiply by 1.5 (that's the rocker arm ratio). do that for both intake and exhaust.

to tell what size lash pad you're gonna need, you need to have a stock cam available. measure the base circle of each and then apply the difference

Maybe I didn't explain myself... the cam is IN the car. Lash pads are correct, considering that the wear pattern on the rockers looks correct (centered). What I'm looking for is the lash adjustment specs. I'm beginning to think, however, that my problem is a leak at the headers. Thanks for responding, though!

Most everything aftermarket I've seen is .008/.010. Stock is .010/.012. Looser is safer. There's an old saying: "Quiet valves burn." I'd run it at the stock setting. If its really noisy, then bump it down to the .008/.010.

  • Author

I think you're right, I have them at .007/.009 right now. I have a dim memory of some cams using the same I/E setting, however. I'm going to use e_racer's suggestion and measure to see if the lift is the same and while I'm at it, it should tell me if the cam has worn unevenly.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.