IGNORED

New sidepipe install pic.

Sidepipe_and_mounting_hardware_001_2_.jpg

For those who are interested, this is my set-up..... 1 5/8" headers to 2 1/2" mandrel bend exhaust with the collector moved to a horizontal position. The frame rail was notched and strengthened and a flex joint was added. The sidepipes are 3" and are the modified 60" PATRIOT pipes. The pipes are mounted on hangers for ease of removal and I have 4 1/2" ground clearance.

LARRY

I really like the way that looks, But around here, those pipes would have gone under the back tires in less than a week-looks like 2-3 inches of ground clearance. My driveway would take care that even with sectioning struts!

Will

I really don't care for side pipes on a Z or any car for that matter. However your car is very nice, don't get me wrong. I think a set of dual exhaust pipes comming straight out the back is a meaner look. JMO

Vicky

Thanks for the comments..... As far as ground clearance goes I have 4 1/2" which isn't bad, the main thing I have to watch out for is speed bump height in parking lots. I have to take more care with the front air dam hitting parking space cement stops than the side pipe issue....

LARRY

• 3 months later...

My first Z had side pipes on it... '78 280, 5 speed. I was 18 in 1989. The car was black, with "true" wire wheels (no chrome dish behind them, just open spokes like on a bike) "Z" spinners, and louvers on the side and back windows, an MSS front air dam and MSA California-type rear wing. It looked awesome, and the way it sounded, people always asked me if I had a SBC under the hood :) The car didn't have any badges, and those not "in the know" would ask invariably ask if it was a) a Ferrari (!) or B) a Corvette.

Unfortunately, within a few months the bondo on the rotted-out rocker panels cracked and broke from the vibration of the pipes where they were mounted, which was an inch or two higher than yours...

-Ken P.