IGNORED

Front piston seals and rotors help

khughes

Hi guys,

The Piston's in the front brakes on our rally car are pretty much seized up, and the seals have seen better days.

I went to repco to try and get a seal kit, but the guy there could only find a replacement pbr caliper listed. Anyone have any idea if any manufacturer still makes the seals?

Also, I am probably going to have to replace the front rotors, only problem is, none of my workshop manuals list how to remove them (the wheel hub is sort of somehow bolted over the top of the rotor), anyone done this and can give me a quick rundown on how to get them off?

Thanks guys

The R30 is a hub style disc, so not easily upgradeable. Disc diameter is less than 240K. Offset may be affected. compared to standard, it's a better setup, but throw a set of Hilux calipers and Honda discs on the 240K struts and you'll have a far superior setup.

Having said that, Dave Gaines runs the R30 front struts on his 240K rally car quite successfully (has beaten a certain AWD hero going by the name of Chris Atkinson in several rally stages)

Kent, the disc unbolts from the back side of the hub. Take the hub off (remove the small centre dust cap at the end of the axle, remove the split pin and remove the nut - make sure you unbolt the caliper first)

Sit the hub on the floor so the inside of the disc is facing up. You will see 4 bolts holding the disc to the hub (approx 13 or 14mm heads on the bolts). Undo these bolts, and you should be able to separate the disc from the hub. NB it may be a tight fit, so may need some gentle persuasion.

Thanks Guys,

I have the Hilux/Accord setup on our other 240k, and i was eyeing it up over the weekend (i wanted to use 300zx calipers on the front eventually anyways). as it does look like it is a bolt on affair (especially since the accord rotors are already drilled etc.) I just am not sure if this is overkill for a very stock 240k.

I am also not sure if i should wait to get the RB powered 240k on the road to see if the Hilux/Accord combo will be sufficient or the upgrade to the 300zx calipers will be required(visually they don't look much bigger, but i am sure the pad area would be greater)

Bruce, Thanks for the suggestion, but I just want to get this one on the road and registered with as little fuss as possible (without having to get it engineered etc.), The charity bash is on in October, time is quickly running away :D

Kent