IGNORED

R200 LSD break away torque

Mine (fresh from a junkyard '87 turbo) measured 23 lb-ft YEARS ago. Gotta be less than that now. No problemo on the track, even with 238-255rwhp driving it. Dunno why anyone would run as much as 80-90. Basically, that would FORCE you to use a bigger rear sway bar, which acts to increase the amount the inside wheel is unloaded, sort of a vicious cycle I think. I'm running no rear bar, btw. I don't think I'd go with more than the 45 lb-ft the Nismo units supposedly came with.

45 is fine for street use and won't cause excessive understeer, Generally the max you can get out of a viscous is 45.

A mate of mine has had his LSD shimmed to 100lb for competition but on the street it hops and squeals just like a welded diff.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine (fresh from a junkyard '87 turbo) measured 23 lb-ft YEARS ago. Gotta be less than that now. No problemo on the track, even with 238-255rwhp driving it. Dunno why anyone would run as much as 80-90. Basically, that would FORCE you to use a bigger rear sway bar, which acts to increase the amount the inside wheel is unloaded, sort of a vicious cycle I think. I'm running no rear bar, btw. I don't think I'd go with more than the 45 lb-ft the Nismo units supposedly came with.

If you like the big rear bar, then the LSD needs to be tighter. If you like no rear bar, then the LSD can be looser. I shimmed mine this winter but I haven't put the car back together yet so I can't say how it will work. I can tell you that I used to sell lots of diffs that were in the 150 to 200 lb range for big American cars, so I'm not too concerned about the 100 lbs breakaway.

Mine was TIGHT when I tested it using two breaker bars when I first got it. I would guess it was at around 80 lbs. Trouble is it was dry. If you really want to check it you need to DISASSEMBLE the whole thing and relube the clutches, then put it all back together and you get ONE test. Clicker types aren't so good for this, a beam type is really necessary. I lubed mine and added a .004 shim and found breakaway was 14lbs. There was very little wear on the clutches. Similar results have been noted elsewhere too. I believe Nissan changed the clutches and decreased the preload.

Some references: http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsd2.asp

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92629