IGNORED

240 vs 280 brake discs different?

mdbrandy

ARRRGGHH! I'm in the final stages of assembling the newly minted front end on my 280Z. Bolt on the new, MSA-purchased discs to the hubs, grease up the wheel bearings, and slide it on to the axle. Push it back and put in the front bearing, lightly screw on the nut. Spin the hub. It is rubbing on the backing plate! Huh?

So I measured the height of the "hat" above the disk surface. 1/4" higher than the original 280Z discs! Then I measure the hats on my 240Z. Also 1/4" higher than the 280Z disc! I knew that the hubs were different 240 vs 280, but I didn't know that 240Z/280Z discs were not interchangable. Bolts up fine, just too thick. Am I crazy, or is this common knowledge that I for whatever reason have never come across before? I already had to send back some front wheel bearings that were wrong to MSA, now this! They aren't doing so well for me....and they aren't going to like me much on this one, since I bought them about 6 months ago. GRRRRRR....

I don't have an answer man, but I feel bad for ya.

If there are 2 different part numbers for 240 and for 280 rotors, then it stands to reason that they are different though....

Take the backing plate off...I'm sure someone on here can send you some extras they have...then put em on.

If there are 2 different part numbers for 240 and for 280 rotors, then it stands to reason that they are different though....

Take the backing plate off...I'm sure someone on here can send you some extras they have...then put em on.

Thanks for the thought :( .

Actually, different part numbers don't necessarily mean incompatibility. In many cases, superseding parts work fine from 240Z to 280Z, and just indicate small material changes or something. But apparently not this.

I actually have two full sets of used 280Z rotors, but I'm essentially making the entire front end and braking system new this time around, and these are even drilled rotors. Too expensive to just punt.

Mark:

I understand your point about Nissan supercedures, but MSA lists separate P/N for 70-73 Stock Rotors (#24-5031) and separate P/N for 74-78 Stock Rotors (#24-5032) and still more different numbers for ZX's. I doubt MSA (or any aftermarket reseller) would get into "supercedures" if not required, they would most likely have one P/N if they could.

They also have different P/N for 70-73 Cross Drilled Rotors (#24-5720) and 74-78 C.D. Rotors (P/N #24-5721).

Mark:

I understand your point about Nissan supercedures, but MSA lists separate P/N for 70-73 Stock Rotors (#24-5031) and separate P/N for 74-78 Stock Rotors (#24-5032) and still more different numbers for ZX's. I doubt MSA (or any aftermarket reseller) would get into "supercedures" if not required, they would most likely have one P/N if they could.

They also have different P/N for 70-73 Cross Drilled Rotors (#24-5720) and 74-78 C.D. Rotors (P/N #24-5721).

Which goes to show that I should not trust them to send me the right stuff without doing my own research. I didn't actually look at the website or their (very old) catalog. I called them. I told them my application and the thing I wanted without reference to any part numbers. So they should have sent me the appropriate part for my application. But they didn't.

And a couple weeks ago, I had to return a set of outer wheel bearings that were the wrong part number. Similarly, I ordered inner and outer wheel bearings for my application - not by part number. They sent the correct inners, but wrong outers. They made it right, but it cost me $6 to send the bearings back. Sending these rotors back will cost somewhat more than that...

They have always credited my account (no cash or refund) for the amount of shipping cost on returned items. I wouldn't be shy about asking for this, especially since it's their fault. Since you have 2 cars ( a 240 and a 280) I wonder if they get "corn"fused? Better to do as much of the research as you can and specify P/N's, rather than trust them. Their sales reps are not as knowledgable as in the old days a few years ago.

JMO

They have always credited my account (no cash or refund) for the amount of shipping cost on returned items. I wouldn't be shy about asking for this, especially since it's their fault. Since you have 2 cars ( a 240 and a 280) I wonder if they get "corn"fused? Better to do as much of the research as you can and specify P/N's, rather than trust them. Their sales reps are not as knowledgable as in the old days a few years ago.

JMO

I will definately do that. They are starting to cost me some real $, and now time. I would have had the whole front end back together this weekend, but not now. :disappoin

And as another whine, I just went and looked - I actually decided to buy these rotors on the basis of one of their sale flyer booklets - and under the cross-drilled rotors, they list just 70-83 front with one price. So when I called them, I had no way to know that that just meant that there were different part numbers with the same price. I'll still remember in the future to verify the part numbers that they actually think they are sending. I'd better go check the sway bars I bought too - I've never held them up against the originals to make sure they're right...

:(

..........And as another whine, I just went and looked - I actually decided to buy these rotors on the basis of one of their sale flyer booklets - and under the cross-drilled rotors, they list just 70-83 front with one price. So when I called them, I had no way to know that that just meant that there were different part numbers with the same price.

Well, I hope I'm giving you the right poop, I used the "old" catalog to get the P/N's I stated.

• 3 weeks later...

JMO

Well, there is no joy in mudville. They did exchange the rotors, although I got soaked for $35 due to a price increase over the 6 months I held them before noting that they were different. I ate that since they apparently don't even carry the Mountain rotor brand that were the originals they sent any more. At least they did that.

However, I just talked to them about refunding the $26 it cost me to UPS the rotors back. They refused, and pretty much said that they'd gone above and beyond allowing me to send them back in the first place (even though it was their screwup). If they'd stopped there, I wouldn't be writing this. However, on top of that, the "customer service agent" (I'd love to post his name, but I won't) essentially said that since I have both a 240Z and a 280Z, he couldn't tell if I was lying or not, and maybe I'd ordered them for the 240Z and had just changed my mind. So, given that they will go so far as to call a customer a liar, I guess they won't be getting any more of my business if I can help it.

Mark: Sorry to hear of that experience.

It's your call of course, but I think I'd address the situation with Sal Perno, the manager of MSA. (it's been a while since I spoke with him, but I believe that he still works there, he has for many years) He has been the person that worked with me to ensure satisfaction. I'd be certain to mention the comments of the person who insinuated that you might be lying. There is no way that is appropriate, IMO.

honestly man, if its been 6 months, that's your problem, not theirs...they did go above and beyond for you.

I have never heard of any business giving any credit 6 months after, whether or not the part was used...that's not MSAs responsibility, that's the buyers' responsibility.

No flames, I just deal with retail stuff, and that's a great deal getting some credit.

honestly man, if its been 6 months, that's your problem, not theirs...they did go above and beyond for you.

I have never heard of any business giving any credit 6 months after, whether or not the part was used...that's not MSAs responsibility, that's the buyers' responsibility.

No flames, I just deal with retail stuff, and that's a great deal getting some credit.

And yet it is not obvious that the parts are different without taking detailed measurements, and it was their mistake that they sent the wrong part. So why should I suffer? And if you note, I said I was ready to accept a "no" answer. But do you, dealing in retail stuff, regularly insinuate that your customers are liars? That is what really chaps my a$$ about this interaction. And if you do, then I wouldn't give you any further business either.