IGNORED

Sound

The C110

Cheers, yeah the standard 4/5 speed datsun gearbox has a horrible jump in ratios from 2nd to 3rd. Shortening the diff ratio would have an effect too...I heard from a friend that hollinger make some sort of spacer that shortens the 2nd/3rd ratio. Anyone substantiate this?

Orright Tom, ya got my interest now! I thought that the gear ratio was a function of a mathamatical difference of the engaged cluster.... you know , the difference between the number of teeth on the driving and the driven. I'm curious how a spacer can be utilised to alter that!!. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand though. Hollinger is THE motorsport gearbox guru to this planet.

Please get ya mate to elaborate!

Hearing ya 110 wind up like that, I just know it's turning heads over there. That is a classic straight six sound. Have you noticed how any engine with a multiple of three cylinders always has a pleasing note. Frinstance, the old BSA rocket three and the Triumph trident motorbikes...absolutely gorgeous noise! The Nissan S20 ..a spine tingling banshee like howl at 8~9k. Those big pommie twin cam sixes like the Aston Martin or any of the Jag sixes....and the V twelves for that matter. The XJ-S's at full noise down Conrod at Bathurst during the early to mid '80's. Admittedly that was through a race system. Then there's the ferrari v12's ....anything with a supercharger, some of those old straight eight race cars, sound just like an older top fueller...arrr ..Ooh! has anyone heard an Ariel SquareFour? Another Old British motorbike, sounds like a big cammed V8 at idle, and once on the throttle, like nothing else I've ever heard!! Hmm...come to think of it there is a lot of engines that create a beautiful noise. I should explain... I used to do motorsport crash rescue and fire team (C.R.A.F.T.) Best way ever to enjoy a multitude of these beauties at full song. Particularly the Historics. if you ever get a chance get along to an historic race meeting, it's aural heaven for motorheads like me :classic:

I can't leave out the Prince Skyline GT! My favourite had a race cam and a 6 into 2 exhaust. 1 little hotdog muffler in each pipe and ending in a Lukey muffler for each pipe, so separate all the way from the headers back. A very distinctive sound to say the least! :love:

Nice whine... :D

Now that hollinger 'spacer' sounded odd to me too, however, my friend appeared quite convinced it exists, or perhaps something similar of a nature that would alter gear ratios ..?? Ill have to ask him...

That would have been one of the most aurally enjoying professions!! I envy you! Some of the motorbikes you mentioned i cant relate to, however, as you said theres something spine tingling about a straight six howl! Ever heard the roar of a Chrysler 265cu in. hemi in the e49? Or the holden 202 six sucking through triple strombergs and tuned to within an inch of its life in the LJ GTR XU1? I must say, one of the most beautiful 'modern' engine notes has to be from the Ferrari F355 V8 - a masterpiece :love: :love: And i would love to know if ANYONE has heard a Plymouth Road Runner before, i understand they were equipped with a driver warning due to the intense power and torque output for the time - a nightmare in the wet!

I would love to hear a straight eight!! I can sort of imagine an intensely deep rumble at idle [deeper than mostly anything else], growing into an almost deafening roar [these motors would probably only rev to 4000rpm!] Howbout the flat twleve of the ferrari 512M, apparently very distinctive and beautiful, but then again how could it not be in a ferarri!?!

That exhaust sytem you described, i assume for the s54 skyline gtb, sounds delightful [pun intended :classic:]! I was acutally planning a similar setup for my c110, however it wasnt economically viable at the time :cry:

So wheres the sound you recorded of the c10, im anxious to hear it!!

So many things to talk about when it comes to pleasing engine sounds. I say that because some of my favourites are more than just the exhaust note. The previously mentioned blown Z car..with the blower whine gradually breaking out. The cars with 3x twin choke setups,have a distinctive sound. Lower engine speeds or low manifold vacuum situations create an induction roar that can swamp the exhaust note. This was particularly noticeable in the Prince GTBs' I owned, and it was all original in the airbox and filter, I think it actually acted as a resonant chamber at certain engine speeds.

I also owned a 1970 LC XU-1 Torana, the one with the 186 cu.in and triple 150 cd strombergs. Again , the original setup made a unique sound. The single carb 161 gtr Torana had an exhaust peculiarality that at a certain engine speed sounded like someone blowing across the top of a milkbottle. I guess you had to be around in 1969-70 to appreciate that one :cheeky:

How many of us have tuned a motor by ear? I'm guessing more than you realise. I know I have used the old "garden hose" trick to do a field setup of webers. Use the piece of hose like a stethoscope at the bell mouth and gradually dial the cylinder in by ear. An analogy just occurred to me! You the tuner are the equivalent of a modern ECU , where the sensors, along with your senses are the various underbonnet vacuum gauges, tacho, dwell meter timing light etc you've set up . You learn the correct parameters to work within from a book etc, and then apply them by watching , listening, a bit more adjusting, some more fiddling 'till it all looks, sounds and feels "right". This is particularly true of a modified motor. The books only are a guide here, the finer adjustments required as a result of your mods and you developing an understanding of what variations from stock these mods will demand.... :ermm: Ok, this very much older basic stuff in the shed at home, it seems there has been some advances in tuning eqpt. using engine analysers, dynos etc that plug into your car , you hit the enter key, have a coffee and it's all done.....but for us old car junkies...well..I guess we have to plug into the drivers seat and take it all in from there! LOL

Ahh look, here comes me special bus,... I'll get out of yor way now..I'll see you in a new thread about favourite noises..? or car type sounds :bunny:

.....Hoo Roo :laugh:

Ok sounds great!! Have you taken her onto the track prior to this occasion? Okay now this opens up an absoloute can of worms for me :classic: Im sure you may have discussed with other members the history of your c10, but briefly would you be able to explain how it came to be in your possesion? Oh and what sort of power (roughly) do you think youre making at the fly? Cheers,

Tom