IGNORED

Busted wipers.

The Wingnut

Hey folks,

Had a 'pucker moment' last night when the wipers on my '74 260 decided to stop working in a heavy rain. Yanked off the cowl cover today and found that the arm had fallen off of the motor pivot. Seems Nissan over-engineered this piece, there are a number of washers, a spring, a couple of keyed bushings and other miscellaneous pieces.

I need a diagram of some sort so I can figure out what broke, or how to get it all back together. Anyone have the coresponding page out of the manual? I have a Chilton manual, but it doesn't show much other than the basic workings of the linkage.

Hey folks,

Had a 'pucker moment' last night when the wipers on my '74 260 decided to stop working in a heavy rain. Yanked off the cowl cover today and found that the arm had fallen off of the motor pivot. Seems Nissan over-engineered this piece, there are a number of washers, a spring, a couple of keyed bushings and other miscellaneous pieces.

I need a diagram of some sort so I can figure out what broke, or how to get it all back together. Anyone have the coresponding page out of the manual? I have a Chilton manual, but it doesn't show much other than the basic workings of the linkage.

That information is not available in the manual.

Hopefully you are able to find all of the parts. (especially the "C" clip that holds it all together)

However.....................I have some pics that should help you.

You MUST assemble this joint with everything oriented EXACTLY as it appears in the pictures or your wipers may not operate correctly.

If you have further questions, ask.

Perfect! That's very helpful. The shield and spring are badly bent on mine, and the C clip is bent to the point of not being usable. I found another C clip, however.

I'm going to try to bend everything back into shape and get it working again.

Carl,

Again, thanks for the help! I was able to put everything back together properly, something I couldn't have done without your photos. The spring, shield plate and all of the washers were bent and distorted. I'm not sure why. I was able to flatten everything out and reshape the spring. I put the wipers back together, and they function flawlessly now.

Incidentally, Rain-X is a STELLAR product. I put it on my windshield yesterday, just in case I couldn't get the wipers fixed...water just beads up and FLIES off. I don't need my wipers most of the time, visibility is excellent without them. I've heard that it does require frequent application, however.

Incidentally, Rain-X is a STELLAR product. I put it on my windshield yesterday, just in case I couldn't get the wipers fixed...water just beads up and FLIES off. I don't need my wipers most of the time, visibility is excellent without them. I've heard that it does require frequent application, however.

Who needs wipers! It bothers my wife, though. I guess she gets distracted by the little water beads floating up and away.

I did get the impression in the past with Fog-X that it doesn't do its job all that well...haven't used it in ages, thankfully.

Glad you got updated.

As Carl said, DON'T use the INTERIOR Rain-X.

DO use the Exterior Rain-X. Not only will it make the NEED for wiping the rain off the windshield rare, it also helps in keeping the dirt and oil gunk off. Additionally, your wipers (when you HAVE to use them) will glide over the windshield easier, faster and wipe better.

2¢

Enrique