IGNORED

Starting body work soon, looking to do black trim....

sonofzzzap

Hey guys, looks like I'm getting very close to body repair and paint, I just need one more patch panel and a hood and I will be set... I'm looking to convert my OEM chrome trim to all black... (including the rear) and I have been searching for pictures of S30 Zeds with this done... Also, I am open to any tips for painting you guys might have.

I have read that the chrome is rather hard to strip and paint.. Aeronaughtical paint has been recommended to me for this task... I've also heard of "black chrome" but It is rather expensive...

thanks ladies and gents.

-Zzzap

Most of the external "chrome" is acutally stainless steel. All of the window trim is stainless, the drip rails are stainless, as are the trims on the tail light finishers, the frames on the side markers, and the headlight rings. Only the door handles, emblems, and strip between the tail light lenses is actually chrome.

Will

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my trim. Was considering powder coating them sort of a matte black or either gloss black. I think the matte black would look the best tho, because I'm thinking about doing a matte black racing stripe on the bump for the hood. (Sort of like the early Z28 Camaro's....Yeah....Yeah...I know it's a Chevy...Get over it...) I found a wallpaper out on the web that shows how the blacked out trim would look. Looks pretty damn good to me....

webdawg1

post-5649-14150794925725_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I too like the blacked-out trim. If you're looking for a supplier, there is a company called Caswell Plating. They have all sorts of DIY kits for plating small parts, such as trim pieces. I haven't done any business with them, so I can't vouch for their service. Either way, check them out at

Caswell Plating

Jason