IGNORED

Fuel Cell Frame Design

SuperDave

I have built Z racers with 22 and 15 gallon ATL cells.

The 22 gallon tank had about a 1 1/2" offset into the carand had 1 1/2' x 1/8" straps with stand offs welded to ends. The basic frame at the floor area was 1" steel box tube. At the bottom of the cell I made it the way Greg Pickett did in his Trans-Am Vette. It was 1/8" x 1" angle iron with a 20(?) gage plate covering the bottom of the angle iron frame. To connect the upper and lower frames I used 3/8" round bar stock bent with a 5" radius. Long sides had ends to the lower corners with radius bend centered on upper frame. Short sides were reversed with radius bends centered on lower frame.

All in all cheap and easy to make.

The 15 gallon install was more "show" and made from 1 x1" and 1 x 2" aluminum and was a bolt in (and rivit in) type of install. I will attach a photo, sorry I can't find my old car photos of the 22 gallon.

post-5428-14150795899605_thumb.jpg

post-5428-14150795899898_thumb.jpg

post-5428-14150795900093_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did. My understanding of the SCCA GCR not make me belive a "Frame" was needed. I am using a Fuel Safe 15 gal cell. I removed the spare tire tub with a spot weld cutter. I then cut out additional floor pan area wher needed. I then made a 0.090 steel filler panel that fit into the old spare tire hole. This kind of looked like a big "Pac Man" and made the round hole square. I also tried to offset the cell as far to the right side of the car as possible. I fabricted 1" x 1" 0.090 angle iron steel and welded it along the longitudal sides of the fuel cell opening. These pieces are welded to the floor pan of the Z and the classis front and rear crossmember stampings Uunder side of floor pan). The angle pieces also serve as a doubler for the fuel cell can side mounting holes. I also made some 2" wide 0.090 steel bottom support straps that fit onder the fuel cell can. Overall, this mounting method should meet the SCCA GCR, and does not add too much weight to he car. I tested the strength with my 240 lb arse standing on the floor, and was very satisfied with the result!

post-1928-14150795900313_thumb.jpg

post-1928-14150795900492_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm building an EProd using an ATL 12 gallon cell. The support frame is simply some 1" square tubing welded between the car's frame under the trunk area that has been removed. See pictures Here.

I am going to bend some 1.5" roll-bar tubing that will hang down and get welded to the vehicle frame. This will protect the cell from a rear impact. I'm also going to weld some braces from the tubing forward at a 45 degree angle to the vehicle frame. This will help keep the rear bar from collapsing.

With the larger cells I have seen guys mount then higher in the trunk area. That's about all you can do to get the ground clearance. It does raise the center of gravity a bit though.

Good luck.

Rick

Your role cage looks very strong! To bad you couldn't make mine! I think I am going to do my fuel cell frame about the same as yours, but with aluminium. I also am going to put the fuel pump and regulator in back next to the cell, and I still need to figure out where to position the battery back there. I think I'm just gonig to make on big frame, put some aluminium or light sheet metal around it to form a box drop in the cell on one side and put the pump and reg on the otherside above the battery. I want to make a seperate little compartmet to divied fuel and battery!!LOL that could get bad real fast!LOL thanks again!

Hey SD, You know, we just don't see enduros on the west coast. No one I know runs such a large tank. Most Vintage events out here are sprint races, so 8 gallons works fine.

I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to throw in my $.02. I have an 8 gallon cell, only do sprint races, and it's not large enough. Well there's BARELY enough fuel for a 1/2 hr session depending on the track. Part of my problem is the fuel pick-ups, I don't have a surge tank or enternal box to pick up every last drop, but after a session it has less than an inch in the bottom. In my club there are a few events which are 40 minutes and this being my first year, I've had to duck out early and just take the novice sign off (at least 1/2 the leader's laps).

• 2 weeks later...