IGNORED

Air Conditioner??

cremmenga

What year is your car? Early models of the 240Z didn't come with AC from the factory so they were installed by the dealers. Once you could get AC from the factory I suspect the number of dealer installations went down considerably.

Sorry, I should have looked at your public profile first. I also have a '72 and mine came with dealer installed air. I suspect yours is as well. Mine is a Borg-Warner compressor and is big and heavy and was mounted on a big and heavy bracket over the fuel pump. Even though I removed it many years ago - since it didn't work well and the car wanted to overheat - I kept it for some reason. I really don't think it's worth much and if and when I do put AC back in the car it will probably be a modern and efficient compressor running R134a.

• 3 weeks later...

This is slightly related...

Has anyone sat down and thought about modernizing the ac/heat controls? I've been brainstorming a bit and would like to replace the lever/cable controls with modern switches running little actuators. I'd also like to find some modern knobs for blower speed and maybe temperature controls, like what you find in cars today. What about rebuilding the system with a more compact fan and distribution box? Just a thought or two...

Jason

Jason,

That is another project I am working on-but I am only updating the major components-not the controls. I want it all to look like it has never been messed with, but to work like the AC in a new luxury car-I want ac so cold the ambient humidity condenses on the outside of the car when the A/C is on!

Will