IGNORED

To all members in California; emissions question

chickenwafer

Hey everyone, and happy new year! I have a question for all you Z-owning California residents; it there a grandfather (or antique, collector car, ect) clause in your state in the emissions law? It would be a law that means a car xx years old doesn't have to pass emissions (like here in PA, if you car is 15 yrs old it doesn't have to pass emissions). I want to know because it looks like I will be moving to west Sacromento this coming June. Please, oh God, please let me keep my Z!!!!! Thanks for any replies!

Dave

DatsunZGuy, the link didn't work for me but 74 is the last exempt year for now due to the present rolling 30 year rule. Beginning April 1, 2005, 1975 and older vehicles will be exempt. It will no longer be 30 years and older from that point that is until they decide to change it again.

Guess I can't add much to this thread...but yeah I'll concure with everyone else you just sqeaked buy dude so count your lucky stars. As stated a bill was just recently passed that goes into effect in this comming June I was told that will put a halt to the rolling smog exemption.

I will say they have done this crap before and it was reversed after about 8 years (rough guess) so there's nothing that says it wont happen again. I'm betting it will get reversed once again, they're always trying to screw us out of even owning the older cars let alone driving them on the roads.. damn tree hugging nature lovers :rolleyes:. The car clubs always seem to get enough support though in the long run to overthrow their schemy little plans LOL :bandit: :devious:

.....I plan on opening my own mechanics garage in a few years (specializing in Z's and Nissan's) so I could "pass" my car if needed :) and any1 elses on this forum

Dave

Not as easy to do in California as it used to be. Even so, I wouldn't go 'broadcasting' such intentions over the intenet as the fines are pretty steep here if you get caught.

I'm sure you also heard stories of stations being shut down, business liscenses being revoked, large fines being imposed, people even doing jail time for cheating on the emissions testing program here in Cali. Even though the whole thing is an out ant out racket, I just prefer to play it straight up because they hold all of the cards!