Rust below the battery tray... - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rust below the battery tray...

Featured Replies

I was checking the battery tray and I figured it would be rusted, the tray is actually not that bad, but theres rust on the wheel well and rusted through(I actually pressed on it and more broke off)... Does anyone know how expensive this would be to fix (an average estimate) I appreciate guys!

It's going to depend greatly on how much metal must be replaced. AND who does the work.

Worst case senario: Fist size hole, battery tray needs to be removed, old sheetmetal cut out and new metal fabricated (replacements n/a). Then welded, smoothed and painted. I'm guessing but I'd say 20-30 hours @ lets say $60.00 an hour for labor = 1,200 - 1,800 bucks. (cheap)

Best case senario: Fist size hole, You remove the battery tray with a spot weld remover or a drill, cut out rusted sheetmetal and fabricate a replacement (buy a panelbeater's bag and teardrop mallet). Weld in new metal, smooth and paint. Drill & bits = $50, Skill saw = $40, sheetmetal = $5, Panelbeater's bag & mallet = $65, Welder = $300, Grinder = $60, Paint & sandpaper = $20. Total = $540 bucks, (cheaper)

Satisfaction of having done it yourself and aquired some cool tools = priceless. :classic:

  • Author
LOL that sounds like a plan (the cheaper meathod) I do have friends that have tools and what not (including a welder). so all I would have in it would be a little help and price of materials and paint. is this somethere that could effect the drivability of my car?

Check out my photo gallery. Just went though this. I ended up with a donor tray section from Roger at the www.Zbarn.com. The body shop cut it out and welded in the new piece. Turned out fine.

Jared,

Welcome to rust-world!! How much it is going to cost is a matter of what kind of result you are looking for. For an old man and collector like me, cost doesn't matter as I am looking for show perfection, bragging rights, and a bunch of other nonsense attributed to a pair of garage queens. I'll bet your lovely is a daily driver that you keep very clean and are very proud of. I wouldn't fret over the rust hole if that is the case. I would patch it, protect the rest of the area from further rust, and drive on. Enjoy your ride!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.