IGNORED

Left hand drive KGC10? 2400GT?

g72s20

Well, I guess anything is possible. Up until last weekend I had never seen or heard of a LHD Sunny pickup. Turns out that they were made in Guatemala. I doubt that Skylines were ever made there but possibly in some other LHD countries. Which brings up the question: Besides USA, Mexico, Central and South America, Canada, what other countries are LHD?

How about Kuwait? And some countries in the middle east? And most of the European countries are LHD.

The C110 was made in left-hand-drive format also, so I am not surprised! How many LHD C10's do you reckon there'd be in the world now? ....Not many!

The sports 800 was designed for the japanese market only and were never sold stateside. However, I was told that a very limited number of them were made left had drive for the Okinawa market in Japan. Okinawa's military base became the export point for some of these lhd cars to make it into the American market. These cars were exempted from regular dot rules if they were brought back by U.S. servicemen who were allowed a one time exemption to bring over one non-importable car.

Good Ol' V12 Horse found a Toyota 800 sports on ebay, I found the above in the description in the auction!

That military base must have (had?) same sway in Japan to warrant cars being marketed directly at the servicemen.

Anybody know anymore about this?

Jim.

It is a good thing that you caught that Jim, because I was watching this thread and it was clever of you to correlate the LHD S800 with the LHD C10 brochure that you came across. Was the C10 ever exported? The story about the S800 is quite interesting. I would be curiuos to know if that factual because it seems a little far fetched. I am not trying to say that I know more, because I don't. However, it seems that it would be too much effort for a major Japanese car company to cater to such a small market. Please don't take my word on this, I could be totally wrong because this is only an assumption. Does any of the people that are/were stationed in Japan know about this type of thing?

The only countries that I can think of that are RHD countries are England, NZ, Australia, and Japan. What other countries are RHD? I am sure there are more.

I'm actually of the same opinion Ben, Lachlan. I guess this thread is a bit of a fishing expedition to try and catch a few facts :geek: .

Does any of the people that are/were stationed in Japan know about this type of thing?
Just what I'm trying to flush out!

A Tenuous connection...Okinawa mentioned in the Yahoo auction, and also in the ebay toymota 800 auction. I will have it substanciated one way or another! I'm hoping one of our well travelled Japanese connections on this forum can put me out of my misery :laugh:

Just had a look in my old Prince Motor Company Parts cattledog for the S54 series Skyline. There is reference there to a LHD (LS54AE) 1966. thats the single carby export car.

It may be the C10 as a 2400 GT LHD never made it to production, but got as far as a brochure? i have an example of this with the 1969-70 Holden Torana GTRX, have a read ! It even has a 240Z connection....true!

Well haven't we covered some cars and connections in a few short paragraphs? :D Lots of room for myth and speculation about IF or WHY LHD versions of cars of interest to us were built....I won't be happy until they are scotched or proven..one way or another......., Cheers Guys,

Jim.

• 1 year later...

To revive an old thread and to end the guessing,

I own a '71 Nissan 2400GT and have the chassis tags of another Nissan 2000GT Left hand drive.

Also there is one other 2000GT alive in my country the Netherlands.

As far as I could trace there were a total of 40 2000GT's and 2400GT's sold at the time.

The car is designated HGLC10 for the 2400GT and GLC10 for the 2000GT. Engine is single carburator L20A or L24.

rainman.gif

Apart from being LHD the rear lights were unique for this car as far as I'm aware,

lailligt.gif

Also no mentioning of "Skyline" on the car.

Welcome to the forums, Johann!

Don't worry, we have learnt many things since this old topic in 2004 - partly due to your website!!! Thank you for your extra information on production etc. How is your car going? We would love if you could upload some pictures to the gallery.

Welcome to the forums, Johann!

Don't worry, we have learnt many things since this old topic in 2004 - partly due to your website!!! Thank you for your extra information on production etc. How is your car going? We would love if you could upload some pictures to the gallery.

The car is in pieces. I have been collecting some small stuff over the years but the last 4 years not much has happened.

On the car side I have been to busy with my Volvo's and now a '77 Datsun 180B SSS.

The last 2 years I visit the German Nürburgring frequently with my Volvo's which absorbs a lot of time, also in maintenance.

I hope to start working on the 2400 again by the end of this year or early next year. Some welding is required and some paint(...) is needed. :)