E12-80 Electronic dizzy for a 240z Auto? - Parts Swapping - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

E12-80 Electronic dizzy for a 240z Auto?

Featured Replies

Hi, I want to know if the electronic distributor with E-1280 module, will work on my 240z automatic. Is this swap only for manual trannys?

I have this doubt knowing that the point's distributors are different from manual and auto.

Don't want to mees around not knowing if it realy work's.

I already have the distributor, e12-80 module and the coil.

Don't care If the tach don't work with this swap, all I want it's a quick start in the morning, and 6000 rpm :mad:

Any advice or experiences on this swap is welcome.

Hi, I want to know if the electronic distributor with E-1280 module, will work on my 240z automatic. Is this swap only for manual trannys?

I have this doubt knowing that the point's distributors are different from manual and auto.

Don't want to mees around not knowing if it realy work's.

I already have the distributor, e12-80 module and the coil.

Don't care If the tach don't work with this swap, all I want it's a quick start in the morning, and 6000 rpm :mad:

Any advice or experiences on this swap is welcome.

That's the setup in my car. I have a 71 AT with the E-1280 module, and my tach works. I did not do the change myself so I cannot tell you what it will do without that second set of points. From what I've heard, the second point set was only used in certain high heat situations, or overdrive.

I can tell you that the car runs very smoothly with plenty of acceleration.

2¢

Enrique

I installed the ZX in my '73 with an auto trans. Tack works fine and the improvement is so much better it isn't funny . Simple install.

I have some info I am gonna scan in the pc let me know if you want it , it outline the total switch to the an electronic dizzy , as well as parts and such , and even more important how to make your tach work :), pm with email and I can send on thursday , Jeff

I did my 73 auto waaaay back, i do remember it worked just fine, except: the ignition cut out when the car wasn't in "park" or "neutral". So, you may have to wire around the safety switch on the tranny...

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

That would be great Jeff. You can send the info to mario@gexiq.com

I got all the part's from a junk yard and I don't know if the ignition module works. Is there a way to test the e12-80 before the instalation?

Axtellz you quote that "the ignition cut out when the car wasn't in park or neutral" this mean the car must be in park or neutral to get it started?

Wire around the safety swith on tranny? is this a mandatory task?

Well, to be honest- it was midnight, i was cold & tired & not at home, so i pulled it all out & switched it back- i needed to drive it home!

But i *assume* it was the auto tranny safety that killed power. Yes, it would start right up in P or N, but the moment it was shifted, shut right off. Since it was late, and i didn't have a lift available, i put the points dizzy back. Then picked up another car, so the 73 is still "waiting". Not sure if its mandatory or not, since many "modifications" were made by previous owners!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.