IGNORED

5 Speed Truck Transmission

I have a 72 240Z that I am currently doing a ground up restoration on. The previous owner had put a five speed in the car and said it was an easy conversion with absolutely no modifications. When I pulled the motor and tranny the other day, the junk yard writing was still on the transmission indicating it came out of a Datsun truck. Is there any harm in this? Any benefit? What about handling added horsepower?

------------------

Jeff McElyea

1972 240Z

jmcelyea@nassal.com

Jeff,

I have also done this installation on my '71 240z because it was the only transmission available at the time.

The truck and car transmissions (at the time) were very similar. This was a common swap.

The truck transmission will give you lower gearing in 1-3, but the 4th gear ratio is 1-to-1 (same as the stock z transmission).

I did notice, however, that my shifter was located closer to the dash. This required some modification to sheet metal around the shifter.

It won't hurt a thing. smile.gif However, you might want to see if you can get your hands on a 5-speed. Or, if you're doing a genuine restoration... you'll need to get a 4-speed.

[m]

Mike,

The truck transmission is already a five speed and the shifter location appeared normal with no sheet metal mods to the tunnel.

I'm not doing a strict restoration, so I guess I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for your help.

------------------

Jeff McElyea

1972 240Z

jmcelyea@nassal.com

Originally posted by Jeff9962:

Mike,

The truck transmission is already a five speed and the shifter location appeared normal with no sheet metal mods to the tunnel.

If it's a 5-speed then I'd leave it in the car and worry about something else. smile.gif The 5-speed is a nice conversion (truck tranny or not). I don't have the specific details about the tranny handy, but I can bet that the 5th gear is overdrive.

Since it's a truck tranny... you'll have to shift a little sooner in the lower gears. But, you're probably used to that by now.

Anyway, it sounds like no harm has been done. If you want to swap out the tranny for a more genuine article... it's definately possible.

[m]

------------------

Mike Gholson

1971 240z, Mikuni Carbs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts, Ferarri Yellow, Stock Engine, 15x9 wheels w/50 series Falken tires, Currently being restored.