IGNORED

Skyline-280Z

nerdofreak

I have just joined your Z-Club and would like to thank you all for the wealth of information that this club has already provided me.

A couple of weeks ago I found a post that showed a picture of a carborated Skyline motor in an older 240-280Z. I was wondering if anyone had anymore information about this type of swap.

A Couple of questions:

Would the steering line up as the Skyline is right-hand drive in Japan?

Why put carbs on something that could potentially use twin-turbos and fuel injection and be twice as fast?

Since most Skylines are 4WD, how would one hook that into a 280Z? Or can a different transmission be subsituted?

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

Hi, I have a 73 240z which has an RB26DETT engine from a R32 Skyline GTR fitted. My car is RHD 'cause I'm in Australia.

1) To fit it you need to change the sump because it has front drive shafts (from a 4WD car). I have used a sump from a RB30 engine which will fit the engine block 'cause they are double drilled. You will need to modify the sump also to clear the steering rack.

2) Make new engine mount brackets. I used the original GTR mounts and cut & rewelded them 'cause they are lighter (aluminium) also I used Nissan SR20T engine rubber mounts ie S13,S14 or S14 models.

3) Use a RWD gearbox such as an RB20T box or RB25T box.

Hope all goes well, good luck!

A sump is your oil pump and pan. I would hope that you would remember that we are really a worldwide organization here. Translations of proper English are available. By the way, I am an American, simply more traveled.

• 4 weeks later...

well the sr20det is looking better and better. I can get it shipped to my door for 2500, and also it is a lot lighter than any of the rb-dett motors. i am only concerned with installation. I will have to change to FI, but I mean motor mounts, axles, I do not know.

• 1 month later...