IGNORED

Original seatbelts for 1970

LEE240ZPERTH

I don't know if its of any interest, but the UK market cars were subject to UK 'Type Approval' laws that - as far as I understand - dictated that the safety belts on the early Z were changed to a UK-compliant type when the cars were sold new.

The officially-franchised importer ( Datsun UK LTD ) gave the job to a well-known UK safety belt manufacturer called BRITAX.

BRITAX made a "Datsun" branded safety belt system which complied with the UK's then-current British Standard 3254 safety belt laws. I should imagine that the cars were shipped from Japan without belts, and that Datsun UK LTD had their dealers fit the UK-compliant belts before sale.

As far as I know, at that time the UK was one of the first countries in the world to legislate on inertia-reel safety belts for new cars. Other markets were probably not far behind, though.

Here's a pic of a DATSUN / BRITAX belt:

post-2116-14150793792097_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by HS30-H

I don't know if its of any interest, but the UK market cars were subject to UK 'Type Approval' laws that - as far as I understand - dictated that the safety belts on the early Z were changed to a UK-compliant type when the cars were sold new.

The officially-franchised importer ( Datsun UK LTD ) gave the job to a well-known UK safety belt manufacturer called BRITAX.

BRITAX made a "Datsun" branded safety belt system which complied with the UK's then-current British Standard 3254 safety belt laws. I should imagine that the cars were shipped from Japan without belts, and that Datsun UK LTD had their dealers fit the UK-compliant belts before sale.

As far as I know, at that time the UK was one of the first countries in the world to legislate on inertia-reel safety belts for new cars. Other markets were probably not far behind, though.

Here's a pic of a DATSUN / BRITAX belt:

Were the BRITAX belts three point; lap/shoulder arrangemnets, or simply the lap belt?

Unfortunately, most of the sets that I have seen over here have been in pretty bad condition. I also would not recommend trusting your personal safety to a pair of this type of belts - with an old and slightly suspect inertia-reel mechanism. Even an old set of static belts must surely be better insurance than these?