Proper tranny gear oil - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Proper tranny gear oil

Featured Replies

Hey all.

My '83 ZX's (I know, I know LOL ) 5 speed tranny is beginning to show its age. The synchros are getting a little balky especially when its cold outside. As the tranny fluid has never been changed in the last 20 years (to the best of my knowledge) I'm thinking new fluid might be in order.

Any thoughts on whether I should just use straight gear oil (40 weight if I remember correctly) or has anyone used some new wonder fluid that will help "renew" those tired synchros without damaging the tranny.

Thanks,

Peter

Originally posted by peterc

Any thoughts on whether I should just use straight gear oil (40 weight if I remember correctly)

Dinosaur Gear oil usually starts at somewhere around 80/90 weight. (Haven't bought any in a couple of years).

I have no experience with synthetics, except that I've been told to only use them IF trhe trans has no leakage problems.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.