IGNORED

1977 280z Mpg

Zrush

• 2 weeks later...

In the city, with my '78 and my foot generally well into the "carburator" (throttle-body :classic: ), I get 15-17 mpg. If I drive more sedately, it is closer to 19. And I think the beast needs to be tuned up a bit. I haven't done any real highway miles with it.

The lowest mpg I've ever gotten in my 78 280Z was 15.05 mpg and that was before a tune up. It normally runs anywhere from 19.2 mpg (mostly city) to a high of 27.49 mpg (highway). I have a 1982 Maxima 5 spd with the slightly higher 5th gear and have had the speedometer calibrated. My 79 810 Coupe (L24E) has never done as well. 17.2-22.5 (city-highway)

Just a follow up on my last post since I was unable to edit it for some reason. I have a 77 Datsun sales brochure and this is what it say about fuel economy for the 77 280Z:

49 States manual transmission: 18 city & 27 highway for the 2 seater and the same for the 2+2

49 States automatic transmission: 17 city & 23 highway for the 2 seater and the same for the 2+2

California manual trans: 18 city & 25 highway for both

California auto trans: 18 city & 22 highway for both

Originally posted by sblake01

Just a follow up on my last post since I was unable to edit it for some reason. I have a 77 Datsun sales brochure and this is what it say about fuel economy for the 77 280Z:

49 States manual transmission: 18 city & 27 highway for the 2 seater and the same for the 2+2

49 States automatic transmission: 17 city & 23 highway for the 2 seater and the same for the 2+2

California manual trans: 18 city & 25 highway for both

California auto trans: 18 city & 22 highway for both

Man that seems like a big gap between the city 18 mpg and the highway 27 mpg. That's almost a tank of gas. Don't our gas tanks only about 16 gallons?