Radiator draining - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Radiator draining

Featured Replies

I have my round top carbs & linkage for the '74. Doesn't look like it'll be too difficult to swap the flat tops out (keeping the intake manifold)

In preparation for the swap, I started to drain the rad. Looked for the draincock and couldn't find it. Using a mirror, I located what looks like a brass nut with an allen wrench center where all the diagrams show the drain should be. I'm used to the drains where there's a butterfly-shaped "spigot" that you turn to drain the rad, and all the diagrams I've seen indicate this is what I should find.

Any idea on how to drain this darned thing?

:disappoin

The plastic drain plug probably bit the dust and the PO replaced it with a brass plug.... the plastic "wing-nut" drains had a short life span.....

You could just pull the bottom radiator hose to drain it, but it's a will make a big mess unless you have a large drain pan.

  • Author

Mess or not, it's gotta be done. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things or going nuts! :stupid:

You'll probably find a few more "odd" things that a previous owner may or may not have done....:ermm:

I've always replaced the plastic plug with a brass petcock so I never had to worry about the plastic plug twisting off the next time I tried to drain the radiator... pull the brass plug out after you drain it and replace it with a more "modern" drain valve.. Right now I can't think of the right size....

By the way... The spittin image of the original white plastic winged drain plug, with the channel cut into it for a clean draining is for sale, under $5.00 in the "Help" racks of most Auto parts stores. It's marked "Subaru". Both my Z and Roadster are wearing these plugs.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Victor Laury

or from NAPA

Beck Arnley Radiator Drain ****

Item#: BA 1370003

Price: $ 3.29

109385.jpg

Are these a standard size? That way if they don't have the Suabaru ones I might not be out of luck.

SuDZ

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.