IGNORED

What my overheating was

gundee

I saw dhayes5 post on his radiator and was reminded of what I experienced on my 72 240. It has already been 10 years ago but my temp guage would creep up to the hot range when pushing it on the highway. It would start between 60 and 65 and creep up the faster I went. In slow traffic on even a hot day the car was always in the normal range.

That did not make sense so I was thinking I was having a waterpump problem at higher speeds. I did have small seepage on the top radiator tank for a while. I had seen many Z's with same leak.

I decided to take tank in to a shop for repair. He called me and said their flow test showed a calulated 65% blockage. The core was shot! I am glad they tested it or I would have put the repaired pice of crap back in car. There was my highway problem.

I had them recore with a triple core and the guage has never moved past half since. Even flat out in 5th gear.

Moral is if you bring in radiator for repair get a flow test also unless they automatically do it.

Oh, it was $200 but I got to retain the origional radiator.