IGNORED

240/260z +rb20 question! confirm or otherwise please!

Walkingpig

Hello

i've been considering the RB swap for sometime...

i was told by a decently reliable source that the 200zr (z31 300zx) rb20det actually bolts straight onto the 260z....

as opposed to the R32 skyline models which need modified mounts

can someone confirm or othewise this!? as i have the oportunity to buy one in hte next few days!

Thanks, Charles

(and i'm asking on hybridz too!)

• 2 months later...

I've heard this too, however something to keep in mind is that the RB20 which came with the 200ZR really isn't as good as the R32 one..

I'm pretty sure its a red top NICS rb20 with a very poor ECU and equally poor T25g turbocharger..

I think even compared to the RB20 found in R31s of the time the 200ZR model was quite a lemon

the R32 RB20 is the silver top ECCS model.. much better turbo and several other small upgrades in the head, plenum, etc..

so the money you save in getting the 200ZR RB20 installled means you'll be starting off at quite a lower point power wise..

It'd still be quite awesome, but you might just want to keep this in mind!

The other part of this rumour that I remember is that the mounting brackets from the 200ZR allow you to bolt an RB26dett in to a first gen Z.. a much more interesting proposition ;)

good luck!

yes its a red top:) thats all i know

my plans were to use its sump and mounts... allowing me to mount the more modern variety into my car. but the mounts are a joke to find as the 200zr's barely exist in australia

so i give up:)

but as far as i know, the rb's are similar to the L6's in that they ahve the same dimensions

.. before you add the various turbo's etc

shrug

find me some 200zr mounts and sump and i'll marry you:)

ok maybe not

but .. hi!

mmm, i dunno about that similar dimensions bit.. the length is very similar yes.. but the RB is like twice as wide due to the twin cam

also the height of the RB20 / 25 tends to be an issue as they have the cross over pipe running over the top of the engine

iv'e got a ECCS red top rb20det and it JUST squeezes in under the bonnet!

makes for a great car though, would definitely recommend the conversion to anyone, especially as an RB20det can be picked up relatively cheaply!

I'm trying to remember what issue ZOOM it was that covered all the different RB20 varieties, but basically it stated the 200ZR RB20 is the worst of the bunch.. however the mounts/sump as you've mentioned are VERY useful ;-)

good luck to ya man! hehe